INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless audio around the house  (Read 806 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
wireless audio around the house
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:05:09 am »

hi

i have media centre running on a laptop in one room in my house, and a wireless g router with coverage to the whole house, and i am exploring different options for getting my music into other rooms in my house.

at the moment the choice is between buying a squeezebox 3 and getting a second (cheap) wireless laptop.  i did briefly have 2 laptops and got this working ok over a network, although there was a delay in the response when i selected tracks to play (if i added tracks to playing now instead of clicking on them then the transition between tracks was seamless).

my preference at the moment is to go for a second laptop, as there are occasionally times when i could use 2 laptops for other purposes, and i like having the cover art displayed on the laptop, but the delay in reponse is a bit of a concern.  is there a way of improving the response time?

would i get a similar delay with the squeezebox?

is there another method that someone could recommend?

thanks

nick

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
Re: wireless audio around the house
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 04:40:51 pm »

having done a little research on this forum i have worked out that there are two ways of using MC on a second laptop to wirelessly play music from my main laptop, namely:

(i) as a glorified player, reading from a central MC server

(ii) as a standalone MC, reading from a central music shared directory

before when i tried this i used method (ii).  am i likely to get less of a response delay with method (i).  which is the best method generally, and how do these 2 methods compare to a squeezebox in terms of response time?

thanks

nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up