INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Tracker Formats  (Read 2141 times)

rebootjac

• Recent member
Feature Request - Tracker Formats
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:05:24 am »

Somewhere on this forum, I found an old post with a mention of a plugin that one could download to enable MC to play tracker formats i.e. mod,xm,it,s3m to name a few. I can't find this plugin at all or the post.

This idea excites me because I have hundreds of these types of files that I have to play in a seperate player right now and would like to play them in MC if I could. It would be cool if I could tag and sort these types of files and add them to MC's database abilities.

I have the newest version of MC and I was wondering if it would be possible to use this old plugin or how do I go about making my own plugin for these types of formats? I took a glance at the plugin developer page and I have to say, didn't understand much. :P

Thanks

rebootjac

• Recent member
Re: Feature Request - Tracker Formats
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 10:44:38 pm »

*bump*

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 03:57:59 am »

As i'm a "retro computing"-addict (just one of my many addictions), i'd love to see that kind of feature embedded into MC.

But i believe it will be too much work (with not enough ROI) for JRiver to implement that kind of functionality, as there are soooo many formats, with different technical problems, etc.

One easy way to accomplish this kind of functionality would be to support or embed external plugins, like ModPlug or MikMod (there are lots of other open source player libraries). If MC would support WinAmp plugins (don't know if that's the case already), we could also use the available (sometimes not perfect, but still quite good) WinAmp plugins.

Another idea that comes to my mind is a possible cooperation with other software developers. For example, the DeliPlayer (http://www.deliplayer.com is a _very_ good player for all kinds of "old" formats, but the UI sucks, and the programmers no longer seem to have the time to further develop the software. For me, it would be a dream to have the functionality of DeliPlayer embedded in an UI as good as MC's.

rebootjac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:28:28 am »

You are speaking my language.. haha

Deliplayer's outstanding format support for these old files would be a great compliment to MC. Funny you mention Winamp plugins because recently, I have been able to use mikmod and modplug plugins from my XMPlay directory with MC (the newest build too!)

What I did was go into the plugins config page in MC and clicked on "add a new plugin" Some of them worked some of them didn't.

MC plays most of the major formats this way but I cannot skip around in the file like I can with deliplayer or xmplay. Also, SID files that contained multiparts were unable to work correctly (of course, I wasn't expecting much with those haha)

You know, another idea would be to have MC just refer these types of files to your player of choice...such as Deliplayer and have a communication between programs when the songs were done in each of the players. That way, we could have the best of both worlds.. a great player specific to the format and the best way to organize them.

I can dream I guess. Thanks for your reply...

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 05:57:39 am »

Aah! The good ol' days! Walking down the memory lane remembering when you sat up all night with your Amiga writing and downloading songs from BBS's.
Anyway, when I converted to PC, I had a problem with the few mod-players since almost none were able to play the songs correctly.

Now, I never listen to those songs, but I can recommend ModPlug Player since it is the one player I used that was able to reproduce those old 4-channel songs (*.mod) correctly. It is no longer in development, but still a very good player.

As for MC, I once thought it would be a good idea to implement a mod-player but now...? Nah, not for me.

NsiK_Fh8

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:16:35 pm »

I would be really glad if someone knows any existing plugin to MC that can play *.mod, *.it, *.xm formats.

So...

*bump*
Pages: [1]   Go Up