INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server limited rights?  (Read 1017 times)

RiderFan

Library server limited rights?
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:35:50 pm »

Is there a way to limit someone who connects to my library server to play only? I do not want the client machine to be able to delete, rename etc any of my music...just play.

Is this possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library server limited rights?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:36:56 pm »

That's the only way that Library Server works.  It is read only.

RiderFan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 04:47:47 pm »

Well look at that! Cool!

The reason I was confused is because if you try to delete songs on the client side, and chose the delete the file option, it goes through the motion of deleting the file. So, i thought the file was deleted.

Looking on the server now, I can see that although the client said it deleted it, it actually didn't. and reloading the library on the client, showed that the file was indeed back.

So although the client looks like it deletes songs, it actually doesn't.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:55:05 pm »

I believe the way it works is that the client makes a local (in-memory) version of the whole library and acts on that in-memory copy. If you delete something it is removed from the memory, but the original library (on the server) and the associated files are never changed.

The only thing the client can change on the server is the last played time and count.

Personally, I wish there was a way for the client (with various rights permissions) to change more things. For example, I wish I could change the rating of a track from the client.

RiderFan

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:14:35 pm »

Yes you are right, if you delete mp3's on the client side, thay don't actually get deleted. They just get removed from the client side library untill the next time you connect to the server. This is good.

The problem I had, was that when you delete an mp3 on the client side, you get the box asking to just remove from library, send file to recycle bin, or just delete. This scared me to death thinking that if I eneable someone to connect to my library, that they could destroy everything. The fact is that you can not delete anything from the client, but I strongly feel that if you try to, you should get a prompt or something saying that you can't delete from the client or something. But in the end it doesn't matter as the client seems to be read only, so it's a mute point. It would just be my preference to having a "cannot delete" prompt on the client if someone tries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up