INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20 second lockup  (Read 1864 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
20 second lockup
« on: February 02, 2006, 06:47:47 am »

3. Optimized: Improved the speed of playlist transfers to a handheld.

FYI - The MC lockup for 20 seconds when syncing a playlist or playlists to a WMDM supported handheld (like Dell DJ) still exists.  I've described this issue many times so I won't describe it again here.  It's nothing to do with transfer speed for playlists (that happens under 2 seconds).  MC just seems to lockup completely with the Sync button pushed for 20 seconds 'thinking' about something (nothing in the debug logs during this time and the AW Handheld window does not update or refresh or show the progress bar).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 20 second lockup
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:00:31 am »

That sounds like a network drive may be unavailable.  You're the only person reporting this, as far as I recall.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:05:40 am »

Huh?  No network drive here and the only USB device plugged in is my Dell DJ.  Everything else works fine when syncing.  This problem only started in the last two weeks after playlist syncing issues were finally addressed (that's all I can tell you as the debug logs shows nothing during this 20 seconds lockup).

Also, how would a network drive issue cause MC to not update/refresh/redraw the AW Handheld window while playlists are being synced to a WMDM supported handheld?  I mean even when syncing files and playlists, at the end of uploading files MC stops updating the AW Handheld progress bar and 'locks up' for a bit and does not show progress while playlists are synced.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:11:57 am »

Please take a close look at your machine.  Try it on another machine if possible.

Does anyone else see this problem?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:09:57 am »

Playlists are sent from the main thread.  With an iPod, this generally takes less than a second.  With a slower WMDM device, this may block the program for a bit.

This may change in MC 12.0, but is too complicated to be changed before then.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:38:18 am »

Matt, thanks for confirming it is a WMDM supported device issue (I knew it was not an issue with my PC).  Yes, the iPod support does not exhibit this delay.

I should comment that when 'reading' a playlist off the WMDM device via a click under Drives & Devices under the connected handheld's node, MC reads the playlist in under 5 seconds.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 03:41:05 pm »

Just a Note:

I have noticed in the past when using Norton AV that it tends to delay things, sometimes depending what Norton Is Doing More than 20 Seconds.

I am not saying thats the problem.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up