INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server Accross Internet  (Read 1742 times)

thepunisher

• Recent member
  • The Punisher
Library Server Accross Internet
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:39:57 am »

I am having difficulties configuring the Library Server plugin to stream music accross the internet.  The functionality works accross the LAN without issue.  I have a router in place that has a NAT firewall.  I have enabled port forwarding, and have tried both port 80 and 8080 just to make certain it wasn't my ISP.  I have tried to connect to the Library Server using a neighbors wireless connection, from work, and from my brothers broadband connection.  As of yet none of them work.  Is there some logging that I can enable to troubleshoot the connection?  Or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this to work.  Thanks in advance for the help.
The Punisher

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library Server Accross Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:00:48 pm »

If it works from the local network, then you can be sure that MC is working and that the problem to be solved has only to do with the network configuration.

Possibilities are:
Different version of MC on other PC's.

Port forwarding isn't set correctly.

Firewall running on client or server or any machine in between.

Telnet is sometimes useful in this situation.  You can telnet to a specific IP address and port.  Check Windows Telnet and help for how to do this.

Wrong IP address.  On the client, you should use the external IP of the router.

thepunisher

• Recent member
  • The Punisher
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 09:37:42 pm »

This is slightly embarrassing but I'll post this in case someone in the future does the same thing.  I had entered the IP address of the library in the "Name:" field and had left the "Location:" field with the local path on the hard drive.  The reason the library had worked across the local LAN was that I had chosen Search for Media Servers.  I had forgotten that when I did my initial post.  This was definitely an ID10T error on my part.  The only thing I can think of was that the Examples didn't explicitly call out that they were for the Location: field. 

On an aside this functionality is awesome.  I can now listen to my library wherever I can get an internet connection.
The Punisher

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:36:42 pm »

Glad you got it figured out.

I'd like to say I've never made the same mistake you did, but it wouldn't be true...

j

lOth

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:57:40 am »

sorry to revive this old thread, but I couldn't find anything more relevant on the board.

Two questions here.

First, I have MC 11.1.111 installed on a local network, one is running a library server and the other one can't seem to connect to it:

The server is a different version. Please update both machines to the current version

Is that feature currently broken in 11.1 or should I look for some problem in my set-up.

Since it didn't work, I've decided to share the folder where the media files are on the server and just import them into the "client". This works rather well, but I'm wondering: what are the pros and cons of this method as compared to using MC's library server?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 11:21:11 am »

It's not broken, but it can be misleading. This message would show up if you were connecting to a different server than Library Server (such as remote server), and possibly to a non-existent site. I'll fix this in a later version.

For now, look for things like NAT problems or firewall issues.

If you share, there may be a small possibility of corruption if the tags in a file are changed by both machines at the same time. And you have to remember to Import in both locations when there are changes.

j

lOth

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:33:15 am »

mmm....

I'm not clear about the difference between library server and remote server I think.
"Remote server" is what I use on my server.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:59:14 am »

mmm....

I'm not clear about the difference between library server and remote server I think.
"Remote server" is what I use on my server.

Library Server shares a read-only version of the media database and provides playback access for the clients. Other MCs on other PCs can use the database and play the files.

Remote Server makes possible to access basic MC functions remotely. It provides a remote user interface in HTML format. Any Internet browser can be used as a remote controller.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lOth

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 05:02:54 am »

got it.

Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker but I find this to be a bit counter-intuitive. Shouldn't the remote server called something like "web interface server" or something like this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up