INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog for Classical wav files  (Read 1293 times)

iajim

• Recent member
Catalog for Classical wav files
« on: February 04, 2006, 04:17:44 pm »

My entire collection is Classical and because we desire hi fidelity above all, it is all loaded as wav format. This format provides insufficent useable tags on the files. It is complicated when compositions have 3-4 movements that need to be associated and are each on seperate files and also when we may have 4 or more versions of the same composition done by different orchestras.  Many of these files have been transcribed from old LP records.
Will MC deal with this lack of tags for playback on WMP? Is there another program which will deal with this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Catalog for Classical wav files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 07:45:15 am »

You might want to convert the wav files to APE or another lossless format.  A lossless file can be converted back to the exact same wav file.  You don't lose anything.

Lossless files produce identical sound.

You could try a few files just to see.

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »

My collection is also mainly classical, and the versatility of the database is the main reason that I use J River media centre. You can generate you own database fields and create your own naming scheme. I have fields for composer, work, opus number, key and so on, from these you can create view schemes that allow you to view by composer, work and performer, for example.

All my files are in ape lossless format, but I think you can do the same thing with wav files.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 02:27:05 pm »

All my files are in ape lossless format, but I think you can do the same thing with wav files.

With APE, the tags are stored in the file.  With WAV, they aren't, so if you lose your library, your organization is gone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up