INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Useage and Interrupts  (Read 1578 times)

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
CPU Useage and Interrupts
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:38:50 pm »

I just completed building my new system based on the AMD x2 4800+.  When ripping a cd, Sysinternals Process Explorer shows that MC uses 2-31% of the CPU, Lame 17% and interrupts 18-30%.  All in all, ripping uses approximately 50% of the CPU.  I'm curious about these levels of CPU useage, particularly the interrupts.  Is this considered normal for MC?  Does MC support dual core processors?  Is there a setting within MC or elsewhere that should be specifically configured to optimize MC for dual core processing?

Media Center Registered 11.1.114 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2412 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1257 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive Q: PLEXTOR CD-R   PREMIUM    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive R:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive S:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive Q: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 5:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive R: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-712A     Addr: 5:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: CPU Useage and Interrupts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:57:11 pm »

All the major pieces of MC are threaded for dual-core performance, ripping included.  This has been a major focus for us the past few years.

Future versions will become even more dual-core optimized, as it looks like that's the future of CPU speed increases.

Also, with an AMD X2, remember that if you have cool-n-quiet enabled, CPU usage readings aren't too meaningful since the CPU keeps switching speeds. (I'd recommend using it if you aren't)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:20:08 pm »

From my experience, recent CPUs are not the bottle-neck when ripping, the CD reader is. This is especially true if you're reading in secure mode, which is slower. Because of this the CPU can't/won't be used at full capacity.

If you try converting existing tracks to a new format, however, like syncing to a portable device, then MC will convert multiple tracks simultaneously and should therefore use 100% of the CPU.

If you're really planning on ripping a lot, a second CD reader could help.

Shelly

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:31:35 pm »

Also, with an AMD X2, remember that if you have cool-n-quiet enabled, CPU usage readings aren't too meaningful since the CPU keeps switching speeds. (I'd recommend using it if you aren't)

I'm not using it, but will enable it.  Thanks for the suggestion, Matt.  What about the interrupt issue?  Is this normal?

From my experience, recent CPUs are not the bottle-neck when ripping, the CD reader is. This is especially true if you're reading in secure mode, which is slower. Because of this the CPU can't/won't be used at full capacity.

If you try converting existing tracks to a new format, however, like syncing to a portable device, then MC will convert multiple tracks simultaneously and should therefore use 100% of the CPU.

If you're really planning on ripping a lot, a second CD reader could help.

That's useful info.  I'll try ripping without secure enabled and see if there's a difference.  Actually, I'm really not complaining about the speed, which is so much faster than with my P4 2.8.  I just want to make sure that I've configure everything correctly to get the max benifit out of the dual cores.  I do have a 2nd CD reader.  I'll have to read up on using it in MC.  I've been a dedicated MC fan since v7 but there's still a lot of things that I've never done with it. 

Thanks for the quick response - it's appreciated!

Edit:
I just ripped a track without secure mode and CPU useage spiked as high as 87%. 

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 08:54:45 pm »

Personally, I always rip with secure turned on. I'd prefer the better quality rip over a few seconds saved. Besides, I'm ripping at lossless quality, I only do it once...ever.

Shelly

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 01:55:05 pm »

I also only rip secure.  I just used Nero and it also show a high level of hardware interrupts, so I guess this isn't something specific to MC. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 01:58:38 pm »

Shelly, out of curiosity, do you mind me asking:

what motherboard did you choose, and why?

how noisy is your new system, and what cooling options did you go for?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 03:09:13 pm »

Marko, Just thought I'd mention that if you're looking for silent CPU cooler, look no further than this for your CPU cooling needs.  I have two of them (well, one is the bigger 7700 model) for my Athlon64's and they're spectacular.  They have a huge fan, but you can turn it off completely.  You also have the possibility of running the (huge) fan at very low, quiet speeds for just a little extra cooling kick.

It's also REALLY easy to install, once you remove the standard HSF mount on your motherboard (it comes with it's own).  (So I should say, its easy if you do it as part of a new system build.  You do have to remove the motherboard from the case to install it the first time, but once the mounting bracket is on, it's a breeze to pop on and off.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up