INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greatest Hits mess!  (Read 1542 times)

RiderFan

Greatest Hits mess!
« on: February 07, 2006, 12:19:28 am »

Hello,

I am still evaluating MC 11 and I am trying to get all of my bugs out. A major bug I have found today is that I have about 15 different artists in my Greatest Hits album. Aaarrgg!
I have many different Greatest Hits Albums, and about half work correctly, but 1 greatest hits album has 15 different artists in it. The weird thing is that 1 artist will have 12 songs in the greatest hits album and 11 will be marked correctly, but 1 is seperated into this communal greatest hits album with, again 15 other artists!

WMP uses the same library and doesn't run into this proble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Greatest Hits mess!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:05:41 am »

we'll need more precise info about the current situation regarding the files physical location on your hard drive, and the artist/album details in question, to be able to help you fix things up, and then some more info about how you got where you are to help you avoid getting there again once things have been tidied up.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:41:17 am »

I had a similar problem in iTunes, where I had Greatest Hits albums from both Crosby, Stills & Nash and Neil Young.  Both albums contained tracks by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.  I had them listed as compilations and iTunes lumped them together in one folder.  I got around that by renaming the albums "Greatest Hits [CSN]" and "Greatest Hits [Neil Young]".  I have used the same technique with albums entitled "Retrospective" and "Gold".

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:14:22 pm »

I have the same problem with two Albums that legitimately have the same name but are authored by different artists.

RiderFan

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 06:53:16 pm »

I have all of my songs in folders by artist, then folders by album.

All of the songs in the Greatest Hits album are from 15 different artists, in 15 different folders/subfolders, so there's no way the file location or file name can be doing this.

Also, WMP uses the exact same library, but does not run into this mess. It seperates all Greatest Hits album correctly.

I went in and put the name of the band after Greatest Hits in the album name, ex: Greatest Hits [Harlequin], Greatest Hits [Chilliwack] etc. (How can you tell I'm Canadian eh?)

This has fixed the problem, but it took my a little while. I think I spent more time looking for a faster way to do it than I did just renaming the album names.

Thanx for your help.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 08:14:21 pm »

What'cha Gonna Do?  ;)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:45:51 am »

RiderFan, Glad you're happy now.

I think what you mean is that WMP uses the exact same files, from the exact same locations. WMP and MC each have their own libraries, or database structures, if you prefer.

I think you are talking about presentation methods here?

if I type [Album]=[Greatest Hits] into my search bar, I get 10 "Greatest Hits" albums from 10 different artists, but according to MC's statistics (in the action window: file properties > statistics > overview) overview, there is only one album.

Is that the anomaly to which you are referring?

It's something that does not really cause me any problems, and I have never felt the need to place the artists names in the album field to differentiate between them.

If I'm on the right track, I'd still be interested in hearing what it was that caused you to bump into this slight shortcoming, as there's every chance that there may be "... a faster way to do it ..." and you could wind up with some tips that could make your trial a more enjoyable experience.

If I'm way off track, please, just ignore me, I'll go away ;) :)

RiderFan

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 06:26:02 pm »

What happened in my case is that some of the artist's greatest hits albums were lumped together, while some were not. So when I would look under album view, I would have, say 10 greatest hits albums. 9 of which were perfectly fine, but 1 of the greatest hits albums had 15 different artists in it. I don't know why, but it did.

Anyway, fixed now.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:33:19 pm »

What about adding the 'Artist – Album (Year)' field to the view and sorting by that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up