INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 feature from 11.0 missing?  (Read 2276 times)

EasyEd

• Recent member
MC 11.1 feature from 11.0 missing?
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:38:55 am »

In MC 11.0 if you went to tools/options/handheld  in the dialog box there was the ability to specify the directory for the playlists on a handheld device.  You could also specify the filepath to by used in the playlist entries.

In MC 11.1 if you go to tools/options/handheld, the dialog box only has two sections.  The second section is labelled "advanced options".  In that section there is "files and paths"  where you can specify the directory for putting the playlist among other things.  However there is no place for specifying the filepath.  Where is it?

Thanks
Ed

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11.1 feature from 11.0 missing?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:09:51 am »

Please open this file in notepad:

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\Default Resources\pdt.xml.  It's the portable device table that MC uses.

It gets overwritten when you re-install.  If you think you have a device that needs an entry here but doesn't have one, you can e-mail one to matt at jriver.com when you get it right.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:33:18 am »

Drive type devices have the option here:
Tools > Options > Handheld > Advanced Options > File & Paths > Audio Path, Image Path, etc.

For an iPod or WMDM device, this isn't configurable. (it's dictated by the device)

What device are you using?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 02:08:36 pm »

Thanks for the replies

I am using a Pocket PC windows mobile 2003se  (its actually a Toshiba E830), with a CF card in it.  Its the CF card that I am trying to load the playlists and music on.  Both the pocket pc and and CF card show up as devices in MC.  I need the playlists to have a file path of \CF Card\etc.

I also have another CF Card that I have in a usb reader that shows up as drive K.  When I drag a playlist to it, the playlist filepath starts out as \K:\etc.  I need it to be \CF Card\etc.

Thanks

Ed

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:35:40 pm »

Here is an update

case 1  CF Card is in usb card reader. It is drive K on my machine.  When I drag a playlist to it and transfer, thei mp3s are placed correctly and the playlist is put in the playlist folder.  However the filepath in the playlist file is K:/etc. I need it to be /CF Card/etc.  In MC 11.0 I could do this in options.  In MC11.1 there appears to be no way to specify the filepath.

case 2.  The CF card is placed in the Pocket PC. It show up as a device.  When I drag a playlist to it the mp3s are transfer, but the playlist is not even transfered.  Also, the playlists that are already on it (from case 1) no longer show as playlist even though they are still there, which I can verify by taking the card out and putting it back in the usb reader.

All this worked perfectly in MC11.0

Ed

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 07:31:48 am »

Can I put an entry in the PDT file for CF Card and if so what should it be?
Ed

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 02:46:19 pm »

Case 2 depends on the WMDM driver for that device supporting playlists.  Only newer devices support this.

For case 1, are you saying that the device can't play the M3U that MC writes because it uses relative paths?

Thanks.

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 05:53:05 pm »

Matt

Case 2  What is a WMDM driver, I have a standard windows 2003 Pocket PC (PPC) (toshiba E830).  Your software detects it, detects the CF card in it as a separate device.  Its a standard CF card.  When I drag and transfer a playlist to that CF Card, it transfers the mp3s correctly, but it does not transfer any playlist (m3u) at all.

Case 1.  I'm not sure how to answer this.  If I leave the CF card in my PC it plays the mp3s correctly.  But the whole reason for having the CF card inserted is to transfer files to it so that I can then insert that CF card in another device.  The software I use on the PPC (Pocket Music) requires the playlist to have filepaths that begin \CF Card\   instead of \K:\ which is the drive letter when the CF card is in my PC.  In MC 11.0 this was very easy to do by specifiying the filepath.  In MC 11.1 there is no way to specify the filepath for the CF Card.

Ed

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:14:44 pm »

Matt

Case 2  What is a WMDM driver, I have a standard windows 2003 Pocket PC (PPC) (toshiba E830).  Your software detects it, detects the CF card in it as a separate device.  Its a standard CF card.  When I drag and transfer a playlist to that CF Card, it transfers the mp3s correctly, but it does not transfer any playlist (m3u) at all.

It's appearing as a WMDM device in this case.  WMDM is the new Windows standard for communicating with portable devices.  I believe only Windows Mobile 5 (and newer) PPC's will support playlists and subscription licensed WMAs via WMDM.

Case 1.  I'm not sure how to answer this.  If I leave the CF card in my PC it plays the mp3s correctly.  But the whole reason for having the CF card inserted is to transfer files to it so that I can then insert that CF card in another device.  The software I use on the PPC (Pocket Music) requires the playlist to have filepaths that begin \CF Card\   instead of \K:\ which is the drive letter when the CF card is in my PC.  In MC 11.0 this was very easy to do by specifiying the filepath.  In MC 11.1 there is no way to specify the filepath for the CF Card.

Add the device in Options > Handheld > Device Management > Add Device...

Then configure here:
Options > Handheld > Advanced > Files & Paths

This allows more customization than MC 11.0 offered.

The M3U that MC 11.1 creates should have relative paths.  Post a few lines of it here if you think this isn't the case.

Thanks.

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 06:55:32 pm »

Matt

Case 1  below are some records from the playlist file

K:\Music\Harry James\Sentimental Journey 106\With A Song In My Heart - Doris Day; Harry James Orchestra (1950).mp3
K:\Music\Doris Day & Harry James\Sentimental Journey 91\I Only Have Eyes For You - Doris Day & Harry James Orchestra (from Young Man With A Horn, 1950).mp3
K:\Music\Doris Day & Harry James\Sentimental Journey 111\SJ111 - Lullaby Of Broadway - Doris Day & Harry James (1951).mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\From CD - orig. Columbia 36867\Harry James - I Can't Begin To Tell You.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\From CD - orig. Columbia 36867\Harry James - I Can't Begin To Tell You.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\Sentimental Journey 55\SJ055 - Too Marvelous For Words - Harry James Orchestra; v_Doris Day (1950).mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 01 - You Made Me Love You.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 02 - I've Heard That Song Before.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 03 - Back Beat Boogie.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 04 - The Carnival Of Venice.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 05 - Strictly Instrumental.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 06 - I'll Buy That Dream.mp3
K:\Music\Harry James\I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2]\Harry James - I've Heard That Song Before  [Disc 1 Of 2] - 07 - Stompin' At The Savoy.mp3

What I need is to specify that the K:\  be CF Card\.  In MC 11 there is no place todo this. If you add the device (and I do not need to MC recognizes, but even if I do),  going to
Options > Handheld > Advanced > Files & Paths
there is NO place to specify the filepath to be used.  That is the problem.  In MC 11.0 you could specify the file path.

Case 2
So I guess I don't understand.  If a Windows Mobile 2003 device does not support WMDM, then how come it appears as a WMDM device? 

By the way I may look like a newbie, but I've been using MC and MJ since version 8 or so.  I just don't post very much.  I can usually figure out stuff by myself, but this has me puzzled.

Thanks again

Ed

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 11:03:04 am »

Next build of MC 11.1 will use more advanced logic to use relative paths if at all possible when writing a playlist to a device.

As an example, here's a line from the M3U file when playlists are in a "Playlists" folder, and music is in "[Artist]\[Album]\"

.\..\R.E.M\Green\R.E.M. - Green - 07 - Orange Crush.mp3

Let us know how it works.  Thanks.

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 06:19:54 pm »

Thanks

Can I put an entry in the pdt file for  "CF Card" and specify the filepath?

Is so what should it be.

Ed

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 06:22:11 pm »

I think there's no need for a PDT entry.  Sorry for the confusion.

Please try the latest build (115).  The relative paths in the M3U may be all you needed.

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 10:50:31 am »

No relative paths don't work.  I need to have the filepath be \CF Card\etc,  not .\..\

Again, this was easy to do in MC11.0  why was it taken away in MC11.1

Thanks

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up