INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two playlist questions  (Read 983 times)

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Two playlist questions
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:10:54 pm »

1. Is it possible to create a smartlist with a size limit that depends on the size of another playlist?

I have a smartlist of podcasts that I burn to a disk for listening in my car. I'd like to create a music smartlist that uses the rest of the available space on the disc, and sets the size limit automatically depending on the size of the podcast list. Is this possible?

2. Is it possible to create a smartlist that is broken down by percentages?

For example, a smartlist that is 30% 5 star songs earlier than 1990, 30% 4-5 star songs from 1990-2000, and 40% 3-5 star songs 2001-now. I know I can do this with multiple lists, but I'm wondering if there is syntax to do it in a single list.

Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Two playlist questions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 02:05:45 am »

number one needs some more thought... I'll come back to it....

number two you can probably do, a lot depends on what you want the smartlist for.

The ~mix= modifier will get you your percentages smartlist, but you can only do it by specifying the number of tracks, or at least, that's my understanding; and I've never thought to try limiting a ~mix by filesize or duration. Let's make a start and see where it takes us:

MC 11: New Mix Smartlist Rule - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24288.msg169446;topicseen#msg169446

say you wanted 1000 tracks:

[media type]=audio ~mix=1000,30%,{[rating]=5 [date (year)]=<1990},30%,{[rating]=4,5 [date (year)]=1990-2000},40%,{[rating]=3,4,5 [date (year)]=2001-2006}

Could you bend that to get what you're after?
~mix will attempt to satisfy it's given number of tracks, even if it means adding the same track several time sif you don't want duplicates, exclude them by adding a ~nodup=[?] as the next rule after the mix rule.

seviien posted one of the best presented (and most complex) examples of using the ~mix rule. it will give you some old and some new, some recently heard and not so recently heard. you should try it. you'll be able to see the areas you can bend to suit, plus it's a great ~mix tutorial.

The question was:
One of the greatest innovations by Massinova was it’s request system. Listeners could request as many songs as they wanted at any given time (one request person). The catch was that the more often the song was played the less often the system would select the song to play. Make sense? This prevented popular songs from getting overplayed and allowed for the non-popular music to get some stream time.

The Challenge
Create a smartlist that mimics the Massinova mechanism. All songs are included, but the least played songs appear more often and in greater numbers on the results of the list, while the higher played songs still appear, but less often and are few (sometimes none). Obviously, as the playcount for a song increased it would gradually appear less and less each time the smartlist was run.

Any takers?
UnknownID

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Two playlist questions
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:18:02 pm »

Thanks very much for the helpful reply. My head's a bit too foggy after a long day to get it all just now (especially Seviien's post), but it looks like this will pretty much do what I was looking for. Ideally I wouldn't need to have a track number limit, but it doesn't seem like a serious problem. (Although it would be nice to be able to use a total size limit instead, so I could create discs this way.)

I have two main smartlist ideas that would use this...

1. Something like my example, that would be a mix of older and newer songs, with the quality standards relaxed a bit for newer songs. (To give them a chance to grow on me.)

2. A way to set up a smartlist for multiple people whose tastes don't overlap that much. So, basically, everyone gets their fair share of songs they like even though no one else likes their crappy songs. :)

Are there a lot of undocumented smartlist options, like the ~mix modifier? And just out of curiosity, why aren't they documented?
Pages: [1]   Go Up