INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging classical music (again)  (Read 1269 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Tagging classical music (again)
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:02:36 am »

This time rgd. the album/name tagging. If I am to fill in the "album" field for each file/track (which I do), I will have to put lots of track info into the "name" field. In this particular case (Beethoven string quartets), I have filled in "The Middle String Quartets" in the "album" field, having to write i.e. "Quartet op. 59 "Rasumovsky" no. 1 in F major - 01 - Allegro" in the "name" tag. Which takes both a lot of space, and makes the column quite unreadable. How do others do this? Enter the album name in "Notes" or something, and then fill in the quartet title as name? Anyone?

iajim

• Recent member
Re: Tagging classical music (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:57:22 pm »

I'm just getting started on a similar project; but needed to find a way to do this and use only library custom tags as I need to preserve the .wav file format as I am doing restoration on LP records.  Here's what I am doing.
Set your folder tree
  Classical
       Chamber
       Orchestral
            Dvorak
               [composition] [track] [record number]
               Symphony No 9 in E minor 1 Teldec 9031 73244 2
               Symphony No 9 in E minor 2 Teldec 9031 73233 2
               etc
(ops,sorry about the continuation line)
Then all the rest of the information goes in custom tag fields such as Album Name, Ensamble,Conductor, genre, composer, composition, movement, tempo, track,special artist, etc.
Doing it this way I can have 4 versions of the same composition on the files and have on naming problems.
Then each tag field is sortable

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:16:23 pm »

I have tagged my classical music back in 2002 with MC9 and it still works very well for me:

Genre:              Classical
Subgenre*:      Symphony
Artist:               Beethoven
Composer*:     Beethoven, Ludwig Van
Conductor*:     Herbert Von Karajan
Orchestra*:      Berliner Philharmoniker
Instruments*:  Orchestral
Soloists*:         -
Choir*:             -
Opus:               Op.60
Album:              Symphonies No. 4+7
Name (#1):      Symphony No.4 in B Flat Major,Op.60, 1. Adagio, Allegro vivace
Name (#2):      Symphony No.4 in B Flat Major,Op.60, 2. Adagio
Name (#3):      Symphony No.4 in B Flat Major,Op.60, 3. Allegro vivace
Name (#4):      Symphony No.4 in B Flat Major,Op.60, 4. Allegro ma non troppo
Opus:               Op. 92
Track (#5):       Symphony No.7  in A Major,Op.92, 1. Poco sostenuto-vivace
etc.

All Subgenres:  Ballet, Band, Chamber, Choral, Concerto, Film Music, Gregorian Chants, Keyboard, Mass & Requiem, Medieval, Opera, Orchestra, Overture, Serenade, Sonata, Symphony, Vocal, Waltz)

All Instruments:Cello, Flute, Guitar, Harpsichord, Horn, Mandolin, Oboe, Orchestral, Organ, Piano, Trumpet, Viola, Violin, Vocal

*) User defined fields

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:00:58 am »

Thanks to the both of you. These are both pretty much like my own way of doing it, except that I've created two subgenres (period: Classisism, Baroque and composition form: symphony, guitar concert etc.) Still, this makes the name column hard to read, especially if you're after the name of the movement.

ole k

iajim

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:21:04 pm »

One solution to wide tag headings is to get a video card that will support a second monitor.  Put it along side the main one, then stretch the window across both screens.  It works great

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 03:23:04 pm »

For that I was always hoping that one day MC would support a tile view with the cover art on the left and all tags on the right, line by line. There was once such a view, but it disappeared after some time and now the product is going into another direction.

But you can always adapt the track info to also display additional user defined fields.
Pages: [1]   Go Up