INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problems & Windows default media player  (Read 1246 times)

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
Sound problems & Windows default media player
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:49:22 pm »

Evenin all,

These two bugs listed have been happening since I updated from MC v11.0xx pre-format, & updated to the latest beta.

JRSS Bug
When using 'Wave Out' output mode, JRSS 4 & 5 channel will more often than not, corrupt the playback of the next mp3 in Playing Now.

e.g. I queue 2 mp3s in Playing Now, 1st mp3 plays OK, but when the 2nd mp3 starts it sounds like the band are trapped in a soup tin on my desk, ie very muted & with a lol 'metallic underwater' sound, if you can imagine such a thing?

Doesn't happen on ASIO, or Direct Sound outputs.
Gapless & crossfade options have been tested & made no difference
Bitdepth & Sample Rate were tested no difference.

The only DSP options selected are JRSS modes. Switching these off will always cure the problem.

This could be related to surround problems I have always had with MC11 when manually seeking through a track.

e.g.
Q & play an mp3, mp3 will start perfectly.

Using the seek bar sometimes causes the surround sound to 'bottom out' (sounding muted, flat & playing from the wrong speakers, eg 90% sound from the rear channels @ 40% of the volume). 1 or 2 clicks on the seek bar usually corrects it.

As long as I didn't play with the seek bar mid-song the playlist would always play through perfectly.

But now I have to manually Stop/Play or click the seek bar to correct the DSP every 3-4 songs, sometimes more.  Very annoying.

The 2 mp3s I used to test for errors played OK once I restarted MC, until I played them back to back again. I can send these for testing if you like?

Navigation Frame:
Browsing deep within nested folders on my hard drive eg:
X:\My Stuff\My Media\Tunes\MP3Z\Soundtracks\Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

There is no horizontal scrolling anymore, & I now lose half my monitor width dragging the Navigation frame over.

Is this a setting somewhere? I did look with no success, I can only find scrollbars for the playback window.

And finally:  :)
Windows Default Media Player I know you guys have been busy n all, but exactly how long is this list?  ;D

Curiously enough when I plugged in the IBM keyboard (no drivers) it used my Zboard keyboard drivers instead... & I could launch MC using the 'Open default media player' button - weird! Yet the Zboard software was NOT configured to 'see' MC but did it by default.

Media Center Registered 11.1.116 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD 3500+ 2209 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 1320 MB
Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, latest drivers, connected to a 5.1 PC speaker setup.

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:52:50 pm »

#1 is probably either a problem with the sound card driver or you have another application manipulating the sound.  We've seen similar problems on two Sony PC's.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Sound problem
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 03:41:11 pm »

I see where you're coming from, the 2 things I would normally blame, the K-lite codec pack I use, & the Creative drivers, are the exact same install files as I was using MC11.0xx with, & it never altered the playlist quality at all unless interfered with. But you could be right...

Am i right in thinking that I should have the creative drivers set to 5.1 output AND in MC too?

Is there anyway to test for this, other than the dreaded format?

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Sound problems & Windows default media player
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 02:57:21 pm »

Bumpitty bump bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 03:02:32 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is an MC problem.  Did you try updating the sound card drivers?

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 03:11:22 pm »

I did, but to no avail, tis OK though, I can get round it with ASIO I guess, I just have to adjust sound levels in game with it as ASIO seems to be a 'global' volume change. I should add it's a DIY PC

Any chance of a little love this valentines re the default media player link at the bottom of the post? I've been ever so patient ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up