INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP on a little PC  (Read 1973 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
UPnP on a little PC
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:49:20 pm »

We've been doing some experimenting and it paid off today.  We got a UPnP implementation called Geexbox going on a tiny PC motherboard.  It boots off a 32MB Compact Flash drive and plays from a PC running our UPnP Server.

Why would we want to do this?  How about an open Linux box that can play the audio and video media from your PC through your home theater amp for under $250?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: UPnP on a little PC
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:01:05 pm »

Geexbox, i recall seing that recently, gives you a bootup cd that can be used to read & play media on a HD w/o the need for an OS.

I'm not getting the uPnP part tho   ?

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:20:39 pm »

We've been doing some experimenting and it paid off today.  We got a UPnP implementation called Geexbox going on a tiny PC motherboard.  It boots off a 32MB Compact Flash drive and plays from a PC running our UPnP Server.

Why would we want to do this?  How about an open Linux box that can play the audio and video media from your PC through your home theater amp for under $250?

Sounds interesting.

Why would people want to buy something like this over the UPnP media players already out there?  Maybe because it would actually work and not have  a poor UI or a bunch firmware bugs?   ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 08:34:44 am »

Geexbox, i recall seing that recently, gives you a bootup cd that can be used to read & play media on a HD w/o the need for an OS.

I'm not getting the uPnP part tho   ?
It has an OS (a very small Linux) as part of the install.

What part don't you understand about UPnP?  What you see on your monitor when you boot is a menu that shows several things: the CD drive or DVD drive if present and a list of UPnP servers on the network.  MC's library can show up here if you run MC's UPnP server, so you can choose a playlist or album from MC's library and play it through your amp.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:35:56 am »

Sounds interesting.

Why would people want to buy something like this over the UPnP media players already out there?  Maybe because it would actually work and not have  a poor UI or a bunch firmware bugs?   ;)
If we sell it, it will work.  The UI can be tweaked and the OS is Linux, so you could add things like a browser or e-mail or ....

And it's cute.   ;)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:56:23 am »

I'd like it if it is quiet.
And if I could give it to someone and not have to answer lots of questions on its use.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:31:29 pm »

What you see on your monitor when you boot is a menu that shows several things: the CD drive or DVD drive if present and a list of UPnP servers on the network.  MC's library can show up here if you run MC's UPnP server, so you can choose a playlist or album from MC's library and play it through your amp.
Did not realise Geexbox did uPnP too. It's interesting uPnP can offer services in this way, a level above just file browsing. Thing is your solution requires an extra monitor.

I was thinking more along the lines of a tablet PC with touch sensitive screen, that could connect to the main MC box wirelessly. I think ppl have managed to do this via PDAs, but MC likes a bigger screen.

All in one, funky remote control :)

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 01:37:01 pm »

JimH--
It sounds like my dream of an "MC-Matic"  is taking shape!  Maybe after this, you could devise an MC-enabled beer fridge?  Just a thought.

I think this has real promise.  Would you be able to use a remote with this, feed the video through your TV?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 01:53:09 pm »

Would you be able to use a remote with this, feed the video through your TV?
Yes on both.

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 02:32:55 pm »

This sounds good.  The DSM-520 ALMOST works, but has some annoying problems that I'm hoping they fix some day.  Some things I would be looking for in a device like this:

Critical
* The device should be as simple and plug and play as possible.  If users have to edit config files, you're in trouble.
* It should have both an Ethernet port and 802.11g wireless and should support WPA.
* It should include a remote.
* It should be silent or nearly so.
* It should support MPEG2, DivX, XviD, MP4 and H.264 along with standard audio formats. 

Important
* It should support multiple-speed fast forward and rewind on videos.  The DSM-520 only supports about 2X fast forward, and rewind is dodgy.  Not all video formats work with FF/RW.  A 30 second skip button would be nice, as would an 8 second repeat.
* Software/firmware upgrades should be easy.  If everything boots off a CF card, make a utility that copies the OS image to any CF card of adequate size.  Then we could easily switch between software versions.
* I don't care about heavy duty tweaking, customization, or other remotes, but some people will.  The device should have a plugin architecture at the very least. 
* The ability to play HDMI/HD video is important, as is 5.1 audio and optical/digital out.  A lot of people don't use these now, but you should be building the thing to work two years from now.

Nice to have
* It should support album art and file queueing.
* The device should have a couple of interface skins to choose from.  Nice ones!
* A home theater form factor would be nice.
* Streaming DRM music would be really nice for some people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up