INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone using the Roku Soundbridge?  (Read 4016 times)

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
anyone using the Roku Soundbridge?
« on: February 18, 2006, 10:06:20 am »

I am still using the TIVO server to stream my music to the stereo and am interesting in upgrading to a digital option, and noticed in the FAQs that MC11 supports the Roku Soundbridge.

If anyone is using this product, I'd appreciate your responses:

(1) does the Soundbridge recognize the playlists and smartlists that I have created in MC?

(2) how does the Soundbridge handle internet radio streams thru MC?

(3) would you recommend this combination over, say, the Sonos music system? 

I still lurk these message boards for word on the perfect option to connect my MP3 library on MC to my stereo system, other than using another cheap PC next to the stereo.  Should I just go the PC route?

Thanks for your thoughts!
John
johnh

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: anyone using the Roku Soundbridge?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:55:47 am »

try the new linksys wireless g music bridge, it works like a charm.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 02:27:57 pm »

Thanks, Datdude.  Looked at the Linksys.  I don't see how you control the playlists and the songs you are listening to.  That's what is appealing about the Roku, in that it has a remote control to scroll through the playlists and artists so you can choose the music in the other room without going to the computer, like using the Tivo.

Anyone using the Roku?

johnh

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 04:08:45 pm »

Well, think of it as an airport express but for the PC.  It has a virtual driver that you install on the pc that has the music.  You can use MC to play the music and the Linksys driver will stream it to the music bridge.  I use it on my laptop.  If your pc is in another room, than the Linksys will not work for you.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 10:25:44 pm »

You're asking about the Roku S. Radio? I want to get one of these for our bedroom. I looked at them a while back and my impression (from others here) was that you can access the MC library via the UPnP server w/ the Roku remote.

I've got a Saitek wireless 2.1 speaker arriving tomorrow for the living room & laptop scene but the bedroom needs a Roku...looks pretty slick. If I can get my hands on one soon I'll be sure to post back regarding its functionality.

Dr. C

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:49:35 am »

I've got an M500.  Here are my answers:

"(1) does the Soundbridge recognize the playlists and smartlists that I have created in MC?"

Yes!

"(2) how does the Soundbridge handle internet radio streams thru MC?"

They are all visible and can be played, but there's a big problem with the integrity of the data stream.  I hear all kinds of skips and odd noises on the radio streams that play just fine in MC.  These streams play OK on my Philips Streamium, but only for about 40 seconds.  There are some major bugs in the way MC handles internet radio streams over UPnP.

The good news is that the SB will play radio streams all by itself without a server.  Not what you're asking about, but it works.

"(3) would you recommend this combination over, say, the Sonos music system?  "

Don't have any experience with the Sonos, but the Roku route sure is a lot cheaper.  Plus you're not locked into a single company's proprietary communications protocol.

If you have a pocket PC there's free software called VisualMR that will allow you control the SB from your PPC via WiFi.  I've tried it and it works quite well.  There's also a PC version of the same app. http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php?lang=e

kcorbett

• Recent member
  • we wanna make him stay up all night here we go
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:52:53 pm »

I've had good initial success with MC 11.1 serving my new Roku Soundbridge M1000.

Like the OP I was using MC serving TiVo to play music. When it worked it worked well but often there were skips and noise.

Today I bought a Roku Soundbridge M1000 (actually a model M1001) . Setup was a breeze. First I started the MC UPnP Server. (I selected the SoundBridge instead of the default auto detection.) I connected the SoundBridge audio out to my receiver and powered it up.

Moments later I was browsing my MC library: folder structure, playlists,  genres, and music files exactly as they appear in my audio library. Browsing is fast and clean. Playback is flawless.

Just one complaint: the SoundBridge Search function doesn't work with MC.

Otherwise this is a seamless integration. Truly amazing.

Now I'm wondering: will MC play nice with a 2nd SoundBridge?

/kmc

tjg001

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:29:03 am »

Just one complaint: the SoundBridge Search function doesn't work with MC.

An Audio View Scheme can be modified to give a quick alphabetical index. There is a "Grouping" check box in the View Scheme Item which creates an A-Z pane. This can be done for Album, Artist or Song Title.

For example, I have a View Scheme called Album/Artist with the following items:
   Album Artist - Grouping Checked, Group Size 3
   Album Artist - Grouping Unchecked
   Album - Grouping Unchecked

From the Soundbridge, browse to Artist/Album ... Once selected, I see:
     A-C
     D-F
     G-I
     etc
Selecting D-F presents a list of artists stating with the letter D.  Pressing the "right" arrow on the remote seems to jump down the list but haven't figured by how much.

I actually like this better than the Roku search because it's quicker.

kcorbett

• Recent member
  • we wanna make him stay up all night here we go
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:36:58 pm »

Yes I use an alpha index view in MC, and I agree it's very handy. But it's not the same as a general search function which can find an arbitrary string within any song title.

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 08:19:16 pm »

I just bought a SB 1001.  I was pleasantly surprised that it connected to my MC library using UPnP.  It seems to work fine.  That was not the case some time ago when I evaluated a SB 500 and there were problems with the UPnP implementation (on both sides I think).  Nice job J River!

Chris

zurik

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 09:01:30 pm »

I have a D-Link DSM-320. It's similar to the Roku products. You can stream music either with D-Link's software or using Windows Media Connect. It's a fairly feature packed box for less than the Roku (if I recall correctly). Check it out if you haven't already.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 03:22:21 pm »

Now I'm wondering: will MC play nice with a 2nd SoundBridge?

Yes. I use MC Server with three SoundBridges.

kanman

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 07:06:18 pm »

I know this is a bit old but looking at at least 2 Rokus....the above post mentions it works with 3 - is this listening to 3 different songs/playlists in 3 different rooms that the same time?....

Thanks for any insight!

Kevin

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 10:16:41 am »

Correct, each Roku/UPnP device does it's own thing. They don't play the same thing at the same time.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up