INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transcode FLAC to mp3 issues  (Read 1499 times)

m1abrams

• World Citizen
Transcode FLAC to mp3 issues
« on: February 24, 2006, 08:26:05 am »

I am trying out the Media Center software.  Grabbed the lastest 11.1 from the download page and the 1.5 version of FLAC.  Running it on an XP Pro machine with a AthlonXP 2800+ with 1.5GB RAM.  Syncing with a 4th Gen Ipod 60GB color.

Ok now that you know the system the problem I am having.  I synced a couple of my well listened to albums to test it out.  I have the encoder for sync set to --preset extreme fast.  Almost all of the songs have very noticeable hiccups/skips in them.  This is NOT true for the original FLAC file as I check them again on the PC.  Prior to trying MC I created a perl transcode script that created a duplicate copy of my FLAC for use with iTunes, that script uses lame --preset extreme (no fast option), those mp3 files of the exact same FLAC do not have an issue.

What can I do to fix these hiccups?  I was thinking of trying the sync again without the "fast" option, do you think that would help?

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Transcode FLAC to mp3 issues
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 02:59:15 am »

I'd say, first of all, remove the ipod from the equation and just do a file type conversion, using an offending flac file, saving to a location on your hard drive. (right click file, library tools > convert format...)

If that file displays the problem, then you're looking at a possible decoder problem, in which case, you should head on over to the "3rd party plugins and skins" forum, find the flac decoder release thread (it'll be on the first page) and report your problem there, and scthom will have a look-see for you when time allows him. EDITwas over there just now, so grabbed you a  direct link

If that file is fine, then it's possible you have a sync problem, and you should persue the matter further in this thread.

Bear in mind that jriver/media center do not officially support .flac, so, try transcoding from a supported lossless format, ape or wma lossless and include those results too.

-marko.

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 05:42:30 am »

Just happened to see this post in the "recent" list.

As Marko implies, if the files are playing fine, but only transcoding incorrectly, then there is likely nothing wrong with the FLAC decoder.  Check that first.

If Marko's suggestion doesn't work, then another suggestion would be to try the 1.4 encoder, since 1.5 changed the way things are read and written.  If 1.4 works, then I know where to look.

We should continue this in the Plug-Ins area.  Please start a new thread there with your results.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 08:53:53 am »

Thanks guys, The decoder is fine.  I think the issue is more with the iPod.  I found a few threads over at hydrogenaudio stated issues with iPods and certain vbr mp3 files using the latest lame encoder.  Previously to MC I used an older version of lame to transcode and did NOT use the --vbr-new switch.

so I completely restored my iPod to factory settings with the 1-10-06 firmware.  Initialised it with MC (did this the first time) and did another sync using the worst offending files I had.  This time though transcoding using cbr 320.  No issues.

Tried a few files and that seems to do the trick.  I am currently loading my iPod with a full sync.  After that is done I may play with a few other encoding options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up