INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which TV Tuner and what to watch out for?  (Read 2260 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Which TV Tuner and what to watch out for?
« on: February 24, 2006, 08:29:49 am »

I'm going to upgrade from my Cinergy 400 due to deinterlacing problems.

What tv tuner should I buy?
Is there anything or any funktions it should NOT include?
I'm not deeply into this, but I have heard there have been recording problem with a mircosoft standard or something? Should I avoid this or anything else?

And wich things SHOULD a good mordern tv tuner support?

I would deffinetly like things like: recording and watching tv at the same time (double tuner) and timeshifting.

- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Wich TV Tuner and what to watch out for?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 09:24:49 am »

Do you absolutely need deinterlacing? As you know Media Center only supports deinterlacing by DScaler. You would need to get a device that is supported by DScaler.

I have never tried Cinergy 400 myself. So I do not know what kind of problem you are experiencing. Maybe the picture quality is due to something else? For example, have you tried changing settings in Options->Advanced Properties->Video Preview Pin ... ?

ATI's TV cards are very good, especially the All-In-Wonder cards. They are the first ones supported in Media Center and work well. However, most of them do not support deinterlacing.

Hauppauge PVR 150/250/350/USB cards are good cards too. In Media Center deinterlacing would not work with these either.

There is no dual tuner support. You can only watch what you are recording. Hauppauge PVR 500 is a dual tuner device. It is not supported yet in Media Center.

Time-shifting works with all supported devices.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:27:43 am »

Do you absolutely need deinterlacing? As you know Media Center only supports deinterlacing by DScaler. You would need to get a device that is supported by DScaler.

Yes, I know it only support dscaler deinterlacing now.
Not sure if I need deinterlacing at all, no. But on the tv tuner that I have now, I REALLY need it. I have tuned the settings in preview pin to the max.
I'm using PAL signals with a projector (up to 88 inches) by the way.

If I watch anything in movement, half of the lines willl stand really far out from the moving object. Might be funny if I'm high. But most of the time I'm not   :P

So, if the quality and interlacing problems is far less, or build in (or something) on newer tv tuners I might not need the support for dscaler. But I have never seen other tuners in action.

On my HTPC I use 2 disks with XP and swap the booting for media og games partition. I got 2 Gforce 6600 in SLI used for games OS and one of them for dual screen out when in media mode. So I really think i will drop the idea of a All-In-Wonder card. Can't afford one that will beat my dual 6600 anyway.

And when MC don't support much of digital dual tuners yet, my choise is a < 100$ tuner to use untill better support.

I have been looking for a MC TV tuner support list. Is there none?

- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:56:13 am »

I have been looking for a MC TV tuner support list. Is there none?

It is in MC Help. But the list is not a comprehensive one.

ATI HDTV Wonder is the only digital card supported now. More is coming! Soon Dvico FusionHDTV 5 USB will be on the list.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up