INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win98 and iPod  (Read 1280 times)

cdarsch

• Recent member
Win98 and iPod
« on: February 25, 2006, 11:51:27 am »

I'm trying to integrate Media Center with my video iPod under Windows 98. I used a driver I found on the web at http://win98.drivers.w.interia.pl/ipod.html.

The problem I'm having is that Media Center is able to recognize the device as a handheld, and I can see the various folders on the iPod (Contacts, etc.), but it doesn't understand that the device is an iPod.

Is there any way to correct this problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Win98 and iPod
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:56:15 pm »

This should work out of the box with MC11.1.  Have you tried it? 

cdarsch

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:04:10 am »

Yes, I'm using the latest version 11.1.130. It asks me whether to treat the device as a handheld, but doesn't realize it's an iPod. I used the latest iPod updater software from Apple, running under another computer with Windows XP, to initialize the iPod.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:16:17 am »

Try MC Options for Handheld and do Redetect Devices.

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:16:41 pm »

This sounds like the problem I was having, but it was because the handheld plugin wasn't installing right.  Have you tried using a FireWire connection?  It works fine for me that way, but if you don't already have a FW card and a FW iPod cable (mine came from my 3g), it might not be worth it to you.

My guess is that MC staff needs to check out the driver you're using and integrate its way of communicating into the handheld plugin.  I don't know if they will, 98 is niche enough.  I wouldn't recommend using a 98 computer with an iPod to anyone.  It's just all I have for now, is the thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up