INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Plugin 2-channel input to 4-channel output  (Read 1900 times)

Daveis

DSP Plugin 2-channel input to 4-channel output
« on: February 26, 2006, 07:47:34 pm »

Is there anyway to get a DirectX plugin to be able to take 2-channels input and output 4 channels output without going through the JRSS(tm) surround? 

I tried use use MC11 with the Convolver plugin under development at http://convolver.sourceforge.net/.  This plug can do FIR filter convolution.  One application of the filter is as a digital crossover.  I'm trying to use the plugin to act as a speaker crossover.  The problem is that the only way I can get 4-channel output is to enable JRSS 4-channel surround processing.  I just want the DSP plugin to take my stereo input and produce 4-channel outputs.  Is that possible?

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: DSP Plugin 2-channel input to 4-channel output
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:53:22 am »

Daveis - did you get anywhere with this?

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 12:39:56 am »

I don't think it's possible to go from 2 to 4 channels with convolver.  You can only convolve waveforms that have the same number of channels.  You might be able to change your 2 channel input file to a 4 channel input (with the 2 extras empty) and then convolve with a 4-channel crossover convolver input.

Another idea I read about on HydrogenAudio was to generate the two surround channels by convolving with just the reverb from a 2 channel source.  This would essentially be the same as the surround sound generated by JRSS though.

jrp

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:20:50 pm »

You can indeed convolve and mix from 2 to four channels, provided that your player is capable of handling 4-channel outputs. See http://convolver.sourceforge.net/config.html for how to set up config files that provide for that flexibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up