INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup thumbnails w/library backup?  (Read 1385 times)

lpr

• World Citizen
Backup thumbnails w/library backup?
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:17:55 pm »

Hello,

I'm curious to know if it's possible to backup the thumbnails that are hidden in the Application Data folder with the library backup function?

The reason I'm trying to do this is because when I restore my main Library on a Laptop (w/o the media), I like to see the coverart of the albums I have at home.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Backup thumbnails w/library backup?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 04:02:36 pm »

It's not a bad idea.  I would have liked it once or twice.

The only downside is that thumbnails are generally much larger than the library itself so backups would get a lot bigger.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 10:33:40 am »

I would also love this feature. I use the same library on two computers. This feature, even as an option, would be really convenient.

Or even better, a defineable path for the thumbnail file.

orb9220

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 08:19:49 pm »

I aslways had this problem too. When I forget to backup after upgrade and lost all thumbs when I went to restore library.

So I gave in and copied thumbs as artist - album.jpg into every album forlder. and told media center under tools>Options>File Locations.

There is a at the top Track image Location changed that setting to: Next to File Artist-Album.jpg and media center now auto sees the art when importing new or reimporting library after a system install. Works good be sure to name the jpg  Artist - Album and it should work fine.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 01:06:30 am »

MC has no problem seeing my album art. I keep that on my portable drive with the library too. The problem is that the two computers i use are each referring to a different thumbnail file on their local drives, meaning that it has to redraw the thumbnails and tiles each time I switch computers, and some of the files not on the portable drive (especially video) obviously wont have any thumbnails at all on my work computer. (an annoyance rather than a practical problem).

Actually, I must admit that MC is very fast at this to its credit. But i'd still like a definable path to keep things neat.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:27:20 am »

I agree with Park...a definable path would be nice.  I find myself re-building thumbnails at least once everyday because I keep my home pc and work pc in sync. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up