INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server play information not updated from library client  (Read 1468 times)

georgem29

• Recent member
Server play information not updated from library client
« on: February 23, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

When I play MP3 files on my laptop using Media Center as a library client, the last played time and number of plays are no longer updated in the server library.  I was running 11.1.115 and everything worked correctly.  I then upgraded the client to 11.1.123 and the problem started.  I upgraded the server to 123, but it didn't help.  I've subsequently upgraded both client and server machines to 11.1.127 and it still doesn't work.

Any confirmations?

georgem29

• Recent member
Re: Server play information not updated from library client
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 04:55:05 pm »

Wow, just me huh?  I downgraded the library client to 11.1.115 and it again works as expected.  The server is still on 11.1.127.  Looks like a client thing...

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:35:25 pm »

To continue my conversation with myself, I've just updated both server and client machines to 11.1.131 and the perceived problem still exists.  Rolling the client back to 11.1.115 makes things work as I expect.

To summarize: if I use MC in library server/client mode with any client version >= 11.1.123, the number of plays/last played time information doesn't get updated in the server's library when I play songs on the client.  If I use 11.1.115 for the client it does.  The server version appears to be irrelevant.

This seems like an obvious bug in basic functionality.  Can someone here please help me determine if:

a. This behavior is unique to my setup.

b. It's a planned change of behavior.

c. It's a bug.

d. It's none of the above.

?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:51:58 pm »

I can tell you that it's not unique to your setup.  I haven't tested earlier versions like you have, but I did check 131, and it behaves as you said -- the client has no effect on the "last played" or "playcount" info.

That said, I never actually noticed that the client EVER updated the information on the server -- I just wasn't paying attention to this.  All I can do is verify that it "currently" works as you say.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:02:33 pm »

An MC client doesn't change anything in the MC server's database.  It's read only.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:40:52 pm »

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the [number plays] and [last played] fields.  When I play music using versions <= 11.1.115 as the client, these fields are automatically updated in the server library.  I assumed this was by design.  Are you saying that this is either a bug that's been fixed or an intentional change in behavior?

Either way, I'd vote for the old behavior.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:03:27 pm »

Georgem,

The play count and last played fields are updated by design....and I can reproduce the behavior that you are seeing.  11.1.115 (client side) will update the playcounts on the server but the newer versions that I have tried will not.

It definately seems to be client side, because I can use server .130 and client .115 and get the values to update.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:40:09 pm »

Another voice to the throng....

Number of Plays was being updated perfectly until i installed .121 - i have upgraded both client and server to .131 and the problem is still there.

JimH - you may not think the client updates the server, but it certainly has been for most of 11.1 (and quite a bit of 11.0 i think)!

It was marvellous - please can we have it back?

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 01:02:54 pm »

Also - i can confirm the earlier report that if i install 11.1.115 as the client and l leave the server as 11.1.131 then the Number Of Plays field gets updated correctly.

I shall be staying with this set-up for the time being.....

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 10:05:49 pm »

Confirmed as fixed in 11.1.136.  Thanks for the quick attention to this one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up