INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flac fun (not really)  (Read 3213 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
flac fun (not really)
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:09:22 pm »

hey gang -

i just installed the new flac plugin, and i have a few Q's.

how do i view the flac files with the rest of my media library, and not just under a separate "documents" heading?

also, the files are not playing in MC. i used to have flacs associated with winamp, so when i double-clicked on one, or dragged it to "playing now", it opened in winamp. so i associated flacs with MC in MC, and de-associated them with winamp in winamp, and now when i hit play, nothing happens. i can edit the tags fine, but i can't play them.

i'm on MC 11.1.111, and i haven't installed the flac encode plugin (in case it matters, which i doubt it does).

thanks...
micah

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: flac fun (not really)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:04:09 am »

Simply associating flac files with MC will not make MC play them.  MC requires the flac plugins in order to decode and encode flac.  You can find the latest plugins from my website.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 11:09:14 am »

yeah...i already had the newest version of your flac plugin installed (see my original post)...

scthom

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 09:39:50 am »

Then it sounds like they aren't installed correctly, though I have never seen this happen.  Installation registers the *.flac extension within the MC framework and correctly identifies them as audio.

Try checking your registry for FLAC entries inside the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/JRiver/Media Center 11/Plugins/Input tree.  Compare to other entries that do work (e.g. MP3) to make sure the entry looks right.  Double check the install location and make sure you have the in_flac.dll file there.

Also, check Tools->Plug-in Manager->Input for the FLAC entry.

aeshva

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 01:25:20 pm »

I am having the same problem, I have version 1.6.0 of the flac encoder and 1.6.3 of the decoder, and have been able to import flac files, but they are in documents and not audio.

Media Center 11.1.170 won't play them.

In the registry, it lists under flac
(Default) REG_SZ (Value not set)
File Description REG_SZ Free Lossless Audio Codec (*.flac)
Name REG_SZ FLAC Plugin
Path REG_SZ C;\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\In_FLAC.dll
PlugIn Description REG_SZ FLAC Plugin

Thanks

scthom

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 03:02:23 pm »

Recent versions of MC have changed the plugin handling and loading mode.  Reports by others are that restarting MC will fix the problem.

Other than that, make sure FLAC is checked in the file associations (under Tools->Options).

I thought there had recently been a discussion on how to fix this in the main Media Center forum.  I just searched and couldn't find it right away.

aeshva

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 08:21:38 pm »

I got it to work, I had to completely unistall Media Center, and then reinstall it, and it plays them just fine now.

Thanks,

One minor thing, is is possible to tag the file with album art? I currently have most of the tags stored in the file, but am moving them to the folder.jpg form.

scthom

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 10:31:36 am »

Not at the present time, though possibly in the future.

The Vorbis comment block is for clear text only and there is no common methodology for incorporating binary image blocks as of yet.  The folder.jpg method will work fine, as will the common folder of cover art.

aeshva

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:57:24 am »

Coolness, thank you very much.

DancingSamurai

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 11:24:11 pm »

I am having the same problem as the original poster - I installed the FLAC encoder and decoder plugins, and successfully ripped a CD to the harddrive in FLAC. The ripped files successfully play in another player (e.g. foobar2000).

However, the files are not registered as 'Audio' under MC, they show up under Documents and do not have the 'audio' icon beside the file names. MC refuses to do anything with them when I select 'Play'. I am using the latest versions of the plugins from the sourceforge site.

I have closed & reopened MC, re-imported the files, uninstalled & re-installed MC & the plugins, to no avail. I tried to look at the registry entries but I don't see a 'Media Center 11' tree (only a Media Jukebox tree seemingly created by one of my other plugins). I am running XP x64 edition, are the 32-bit registry values stored somewhere else?

Thanks for your help!

--

Media Center Registered 11.1.183 -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 11\

Workstation 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
AMD Unknown 2209 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3145 MB, Free - 1918 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.3790 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.3790 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.3790 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-110D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /
--DancingSamurai
... Use tasteful words. You may have to eat them.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 03:39:02 am »

in MC, double-check you have set the file association for .flac files (tools>options>file associations)

in MC,
select all the .flac files that MC has categorised as documents.
in the action window, open the tag info window (file properties>tag info)
in the tag info window, make sure all fields are showing (click in the top left corner of tag info>clumns to show>show all fields)
in the tag info window, scroll down to the 'file info' area and change 'Media Type' from documents to audio.

Any better now?

DancingSamurai

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 09:20:08 am »

Hey thanks marko, changing the 'Media Type' fixed the problems I was having with it. However, any NEW .flac files I import are still defaulting to 'Data' type... is there any way to tell MC that ALL .flac files, future and present, are actually 'Audio'?

Thanks!
--DancingSamurai
... Use tasteful words. You may have to eat them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up