INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genre setup  (Read 3039 times)

charles_s

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Genre setup
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:08:23 am »

Media Center used to have an icon on the tree structure that took you to a list of the different genres.  The icon selection is no longer there.  Anyone have information on how to reset this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Gendre setup
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:24:37 am »

Create an audio view scheme (Edit > Add View Scheme).  Add Genre as one of the view items.  Check "Populate tree" to make it list in the tree.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: Genre setup
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 02:22:37 am »

Is it possible somehow to sub-associate genres.

I would like to when i select genre "Rock", a selection of sub-genres like Alternative, Hard Rock a.s.o is also selected.

And also to view this in a tree view.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 03:44:46 pm »

Yes you can.  What you want to do is add a new field to MC to use for your "secondary" genre, and then create a new View Scheme (which is what the "top level" items in the Tree on the left are called) which will display the files using that field.

Create a New Field for MC's Files:

1. In MC, go to Tools --> Options --> Library.
2. Click on the Add button (to add a new Library Field).
3. Under General type in a Name for your new field (I called mine SubGenre).
4. Assign it to a Category (this is what "category" it will show up under in the Tag Editor) -- I used "Extended".
5. Under Data choose "User data" and set the Data Type to "String".  You could also use "List (semicolon delimited)" if you want to be able to assign each file to more than one SubGenre, similar to Keywords.
6. Make sure Edit Type is set to Standard.
7. Click OK.

Now you will have a new Field called "SubGenre" that you can display for all files (right click in any view and choose "Customize Current View"), and that will show up in the Edit Tags window.  Pick some files and assign a SubGenre to them.  Next you need to create a new View Scheme, so that you can browse your files using that SubGenre...

Creating a Genre/SubGenre View Scheme:

1. Open up the Audio item in the Tree (assuming you want to use this to browse music files).
2. Right Click on Audio and choose Add View Scheme
3. Under Step 1 click Add and choose "Standard View Item"
4. In the new dialog, set the Type to "Genre" and click OK.
5. Repeat Step 3 to add another item.
6. This time set the Type to "SubGenre" and click OK.
7. If you want them to show up in the tree under SubGenre, you can also add Artist and then Album.  This would make it match the default Genre/Artist/Album View Scheme (only it would have SubGenre stuck in there of course).
8. Under Step 2 you can leave Auto-Name selected or uncheck it and call it whatever you want.
9. Under Step 3 make sure Populate Tree is selected (this option is what makes all the little "child" items show up in the tree under the view scheme).  If you want this new View Scheme to show up in Theater View, make sure to check that box too.  Also, make sure Honor Parent scheme search strings is checked (or else videos and pictures will show up in there too).
10. You can leave Step 4 blank, unless you want to further limit the files that will show up in the new scheme (such as maybe you only want FLAC files to appear, or only files that have a SubGenre assigned).
11. Click OK.
12. Play with your new View Scheme and worship it's greatness.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 05:14:12 pm »

Should we check the "store in tags" box....I added a new field and filled it but didn't notice any writing to tags even the MC  is set to write to tags as they change.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 06:27:54 pm »

I do not know.  I think you need Alex or marko to answer that one...

I have it checked on mine, which I assume means that MC will write the data to the files themselves, so that if my Library ever gets borked and I need to re-import all my media I don't have to re-do those tags.  I've never checked to see that it is actually writing anything, and I assume that any custom tags would be MC-readable-only.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 01:22:42 am »

This is superneat! Thanks alot :D

And as far as i can see, it stores the new subgenre value in tag when the button is checked. At least the last modified date changes when i do.

But how do i change the view in a genre/subgenre to show the same as in Artist/Album field. Would preffer the filter lists as well.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:35:44 am »

But how do i change the view in a genre/subgenre to show the same as in Artist/Album field. Would preffer the filter lists as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking... Try phrasing it a different way.

Do you want the Genre to always match the Artist field?  (And SubGenre to match Album?)  What would be the point of that?  (It's possible, but weird.)

If you want to filter the results that show up under your new view scheme, you can add any search filter to Step 4 in the View Scheme creation dialog.  If you need help crafting a search, check the sections of the MC Help file called Smartlist and Search - Rules and Modifiers and Edit Search Expressions for more information.

An example that would filter your new view scheme to only list items that have a SubGenre set:

Code: [Select]
-[Subgenre]=[]
If you type this text into the Step 4 Search box, it will filter out all media that contains a blank (designated in the search by the "[]") subgenre.  The "-" in front of it tells MC that it should exclude any media that matches the search, rather than include those files (which would make only files with a blank subgenre field show up).

You can also create this search (and most of them) using the wizard by clicking on the down-pointing "disclosure triangle" on the far left of the Step 4 search box.  It's pretty intuitive to use, if you read the help file.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 11:36:16 am »

Sorry for beeing unclear. Got so eager in my enthusiasme (that probaly aint spelled correct at all...)

I was thinking of when i select a genre or subgenre in the tree view, not the view head icon, it displays a list of all containing songs. No panes. Would maybe liked to have remainging panes of the view. in ex: When i press the subgenre alternative, a selection pane for Artist and Albums are availible, to sub-filter the songs marked with subgenre Alternative. Is this possible?

It is not life-essential thou, since i can use the panes when selecting the head genre/subgenre view item.

hope i have been a bit more understandable now... ;)

But i really appretiate your willingness to guide :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 02:07:39 pm »

Sorry for beeing unclear. Got so eager in my enthusiasme (that probaly aint spelled correct at all...)

I was thinking of when i select a genre or subgenre in the tree view, not the view head icon, it displays a list of all containing songs. No panes. Would maybe liked to have remainging panes of the view. in ex: When i press the subgenre alternative, a selection pane for Artist and Albums are availible, to sub-filter the songs marked with subgenre Alternative. Is this possible?

Unfortunately not.  Currently when you select one of the "children" in the tree (the items that show up under your view scheme when you have Populate tree turned on), the panes vanish.  There isn't currenly a way to combine the functionality...

Oh... And no need to apologize.  We're all pretty nice here.   Enthusiasm and new ideas are encouraged! :D

If it helps, I'm going to be pushing for something similar during the Beta test for the "next generation" version (upon which work is just getting going -- semi-publically at least).  So... All hope is not lost.

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 05:40:09 pm »

Abolishing the vanishing Tiles etc. would be nice for the Tree tagging with files/tiles method we discussed in the MC12 thread....very handy stuff, thanks again. I hope we can see it in MC12.

cheers,

DC

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 01:05:06 am »

I'll cross my fingers, and hope you get throu to them.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up