INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What in the world did my iPod just do?!  (Read 1004 times)

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
What in the world did my iPod just do?!
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:32:27 am »

Okay, so, I dock my iPod then open 11.1.126.  Before I run MC after playing my iPod all day, I always make a backup of the ArtworkDB file and the iTunes and Play Counts files in case something with MC goes screwy, but the version of MC I've been using has been working like a charm, as long as I don't do anything between docking and running MC (like undocking or rebooting).  But this time, I have no clue.  Okay, so, MC loads, and the usual delay for about 5 seconds before my iPod shows up in the tree.  Then, I click on the tree and then I check to see if the playcounts are updated, and they are.  But then I see that MC's status bar shows that it's in the process of updating 1000+ files (my entire library, which is loaded on the iPod).  I thought I did something, but it wasn't me.  I tried closing MC and there was still a "Please Wait..." box that continued to update the files.  Eventually, I got an illegal operation error and my computer rebooted.  May or may not have something to do with me trying to open MC again with the "Please Wait..." box still open.

I checked my files with the iPod undocked, wondering what was changed.  About 85 files were modified.  The only thing I can see that's different is the ratings.  The previous log file was wiped because MC crashed with the first effort to load again.  I don't know why this would happen, but I can recreate the problem.  I can copy my backups back onto my iPod and it seems to run fine, business as usual, but syncing back to MC causes the file modifying frenzy.

So far, my only solution is to recopy the backup files back to the iPod and then undock, check every modified file in MC and manually match ratings from my iPod to MC one at a time.  Then, turn off sync data from iPod, close MC, dock the iPod, open MC and then initialize and start over.

I'm just wondering what happened here and if there's anything that could prevent it.  Has this problem come up at all and fixed somewhere in the past 16 builds?

Also, and I've mentioned this problem before ages ago, when MC crashes, there's a good chance (like 66% of the time) that your customized view settings are reset to defaults.  I'd really like for my view settings to be stored in a more permanent fashion and not so easily erased.  You can test by just adding a ton of columns and changing widths and killing MC with Control+Alt+Delete and see how often it's erased.

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
Re: What in the world did my iPod just do?!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:33:30 pm »

Well, it turns out the effort I spent on undoing that mess was wasted.  Even though the files weren't physically modified, MC still had the modifications in the library and sent those new ratings to the iPod and if I dock again, this mess will start all over.  I restored a library backup from two days ago.  I'm so glad that MC does auto backups.  Now all I have to do is reinitialize and reupload.
Pages: [1]   Go Up