INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: apply Replay Gain when converting  (Read 3268 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Feature request: apply Replay Gain when converting
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:55:02 am »

I just realized that MC does not have a function for volume leveling files when converting from a format to another. It would be very useful when files are converted for portables or when burning mixed data CDs with conversion. Currently only Audio CD burning has an "apply DSP" button.

This option should be available in the standard converter and as well in the Handheld and data CD burning options.

Some of MC's rivals have this kind of function.

Currently the only way to volume level files when converting is to use use MC's Disk Writer output mode with Replay Gain and convert the resulting wave files afterwards. This is awkward and the file tags are lost in the process.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: Feature request: apply Replay Gain when converting
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

You are referring more to a mp3gain type thing here ?

unless u have a portable that can understand lame RG.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »

I am speaking about applying replay gain on decoding just like it can be applied when using MC's Disk Writer output mode. MC already has that system for Audio CD's. The resulting converted files would be permanently replay gained and no player support would be needed. It could be used with any encoding format. For example, foobar's converter has that option.

Mp3gain can do a similar gain change effect to already encoded mp3 files, but it is a separate program, the files need to be analysed once again with it and it works only with mp3 files.

The gain change would be fast and easy if MC could do it on the fly. Of course the source files would need to be analyzed first for getting correct results.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:56:31 am »

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:40:51 am »

Seconded - seems like an obvious function for MC to have and it is annoying to have to go through an extra stage (using mp3gain) when i really want to convert my MP3s directly to my PDA.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:09:00 am »

Yes, this is something that has been needed for a long time.......Please

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:31:09 pm »

I had forgotten that picture. It's nice, isn't it?  ;)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »

I've hit this problem recently.
I've got a sound file which I wish to use as a ring tone on my phone.
Unfortunatley it's so quiet I can't actually hear it.
If I could change the levels within MC
that would be quite useful.

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:42:26 am »

Agreed.  I already use MP3gain - and very good it is, too - but I should like to be able to do this during conversion.  In particular, I would like to equalise ogg files, and ape would be handy.  As with MP3gain, we would need to have the option of equalising all tracks, or by album (so that different levels within an album are maintained), and of course to choose an appropriate level if the default (say, 89dB) is not wanted.

It would also be helpful if different file name formats could be saved for the various encoders; when I rip a new CD I produce ape, ogg and mp3, but all with different filename formats (for use with different devices).
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax
Pages: [1]   Go Up