INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with iPOD Video and MC11  (Read 1961 times)

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
Problems with iPOD Video and MC11
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:20:53 pm »

I've been a long time user of MC 10 and today decided it was time to upgrade to MC11.  While MC10 was working fine I was looking forward to getting device synchronization and album art working with my video ipod.  So I dl'd and installed MC11.  Setup prompted me to uninstall MC10 (which I did) and the install went without incident.

With the install completed I imported all my audio files from my media server.  I then connected my ipod and MC prompted me to name the device.  So far, so good--On the handheld "view" MC displayed all of the files on my ipod and everything appeared to be fine.

I decided to click the "Sync Now" button and MC decided it would try to synchoronize my entire library (nearly 6000 tracks) with my ipod.  I should have selected something other than "Sync Mode -- All".

I'll just click the "Cancel  Sync" button. Unfortunately, MC stopped responding and after waiting for close to 10 minutes I decided to kill it via task manager. 

After relaunching MC ALL of the tags on my ipod tracks (approx 1000 of them) were blank.  I ejected the ipod and indeed, all of the entries my ipod's artists, albums, and songs were missing.  It seemed like a good time to do an ipod updater restore/update and start over.

With that completed, I restart MC, it detects the ipod, prompts me to initialize it and once done, give it a name. 

This time I create a playlist to sync with the ipod, drag and drop a couple of albums to the plalylist and set the handheld options to "Sync Mode -- Playlist" and select my new playlist.

I click the "Sync now" button and MC pops up an message box indicating "The following 20 files cannot be transferred.  Common errors include insufficient rights or unsupported file types.  Remove the unsupported tracks and continue the transfer?"

Back to the playlist I just created; the playlist now includes the original .ape tracks I added PLUS .mp3 versions of the same tracks that point to my ipod's path (E:\ipod_control\music\...  All of the mp3 tracks have icons with red X's indicating that the files aren't available.

Back to the handheld view;  I click "Sync Now" and click yes at the message box prompt to "Remove the unsupported tracks...".  Now I get another message box that indicates "You are attempting to transfer multiple tracks with duplicate information.  Would you like to remove the duplicates and continue with the transfer?".  I click ok and MC starts converting and uploading the files to the ipod.   Unfortunately, it only transfers 6 out of the 20 files and shows status "File missing" for the remaining 14. 

After confirming that the original .ape files are in my sync playlist really are there (I can play them) I try "Sync Now" again and now  get a message box indicating "None of the tracks can be transferred. Common errors include insufficient rights or unsupported file types."

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with iPOD Video and MC11
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 05:41:45 pm »

SteveV,
I'm not sure what your current question is.  Try rebooting your PC and reconnecting your iPod.  Then please state the problem you see.

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

I'm trying to use a playlist to sync with my ipod.  I drag and drop tracks to the playlist, switch to handheld view, click "Sync Now" and get the following message box warning:

Code: [Select]
"The following 20 files cannot be transferred.  Common errors include insufficient rights or unsupported file types.  Remove the unsupported tracks and continue the transfer?"
After clicking ok I get the following message box warning:

Code: [Select]
You are attempting to transfer multiple tracks with duplicate information.  Would you like to remove the duplicates and continue with the transfer?".
I click ok and MC starts converting and uploading the files to the ipod but only transfers 6 out of the 20 files.  The remaining 14 show a status of "File missing".

My entire music collection is ripped to .ape files using MC 10. 

Handheld options:

Sync Mode: Playlists
Encoder: MP3 Encoder
Conversion mode: "Convert audio if necessary" (have also tried "Always convert audio")

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 08:34:09 pm »

Are the files already on your iPod?

Please try transferring one.

Any more details you can provide about the files would be appreciated.

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 09:32:56 pm »

No, the files aren't on the device.  However, it appears that MC is adding the ipod file locations to the library even though they haven't been successfully uploaded.

If I go to MC's "Audio" view and enter the name of the artist I who's album I added to the sync playlist the search results show a total of 40 files; 20 from my media server and 20 with what would have been the ipod path (E:\ipod_control\music\...) if the files had transferred successfully. 

Now, If I delete the all of the E:\ipod_control\music\... entries from the library sync'ing works properly.

Looking at this a litle more closely, if I do a search using the following criteria: "filename=e:" MC returns (EDIT 440) 1072 results.  At this point, I suspect that these are the result of my having tried to abort my original attempt to sync my entire library.

Any idea why these show up in the library to begin with? And is it really OK to delete them?

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 09:51:45 pm »

I think you can delete them.  But you might try a few before you do them all.

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 07:13:06 am »

Jim,

Deleting all of the E:\ipod_control\music\... files from the library seems to sovle the problem. 

Steve

SteveV

• Recent member
  • software geek
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 03:06:42 pm »

Jim,

The problem has reoccurred.  This time on my wife's laptop and 60GB video ipod.  Similar to my issue, I had upgraded her install from MC 10 to MC 11.  After the upgrade I created a play list called "IPOD Sync Playlist" and connected the IPOD.  A short while later I was prompted to name the ipod afterwhich I set handheld options to:

Sync Mode: Playlists
Encoder: MP3 Encoder
Conversion mode: "Convert audio if necessary" (have also tried "Always convert audio")

I dragged and dropped one album to the sync playlist, switched to handheld view, clicked "Recalc Sync" (or some such), clicked the sync button and it synced 10 files without incident.

When the sync completed, I ejected the ipod and all albums, artists, and songs are blank on the ipod.  Rebooting the ipod (press and hold menu buttons for ~5 secs) made no difference.

After restarting MC and connecting the ipod, the handheld view shows 1200+ tracks all with blank info.

At this point I'm not sure what's causing the problem but suspect the MC11 is somehow corupting the MC10 generated ipod database.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 04:23:24 pm »

You may need to reinitialize the iPod and start fresh if you come from MC 10.  Right-click on it in the tree to do this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up