INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware Requirements-Suggestions Wanted  (Read 1174 times)

TechHome

Hardware Requirements-Suggestions Wanted
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:45 am »

I'm planning to build a dedicated music only server running JRMC11.  It will include multi-stream capability via an M-Audio Delta 1010LT or similar card.  The server will run XP Home and also have itunes installed.  Since this is a dedicated music only machine, I can and will strip XP down to the bare minimum required to get the job done.  It must competently handle large music libraries, 1000+ CDs.  I'm looking to keep hardware costs to a minimum, but don't want to compromise playback performance or responsiveness when searching and browsing large libraries.

I'm looking for suggestions irt low-cost CPU, motherboard & RAM, as well as lower cost sound card alternatives that will enable multiple output streams.

Also, it would be helpful if MC was componentized such that I could install only the elements required for music playback, but I’m not sure these options exist currently?

Doug

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Hardware Requirements-Suggestions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:57:21 pm »

Hi

I dont see how to define what hw you need with any accuracy. MC will play on a couple of 100MHz of cpu use at most, but good UI responsiveness needs Gigahertz, plural. How responsive is enough?

MJ8 is much more responsive than MC11 IME. MC11 is just too sluggish on 1.5GHz 2k for me, but MJ is happy on 0.8GHz and 98.

I plan to try MJ on a 200MHz cpu some time and see if it survives!

Tab

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 02:00:35 pm »

MC11 is just too sluggish on 1.5GHz 2k for me
Shouldn't be, but a slow video card could make it so if you're running visualizations.  Memory could also be a problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:45:28 pm »

1.4 GHz first generation AMD Athlon / 1 GB PC133 RAM / first generation ATI Radeon / W2k

- works fine with MC11.1.

It is a lot slower than my 2.8 GHz P4, but still perfectly usable with a library of about 45000 files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up