INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Rename Files From Properties"  (Read 1549 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
"Rename Files From Properties"
« on: September 21, 2002, 08:25:53 am »

When using this I get rules of filename layouts.  But there's no option for just the name of the song.

This is my preferred method of filename so I end up with ARTIST/ALBUM/(song)NAME, is there a way to handle this in MJ8?

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Rename Files From Properties"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2002, 09:01:07 am »

There are a lot of options for this and you can type them in.  The Help file is a good source.  You should be able to do anything.

If you're using V9, the syntax may have changed.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 11:22:05 am »

:P I downloaded (from EMusic) some "various artists"- type albums and the tags were really strange.
I had the name - artist under "name" but the actual file name was even MORE convoluted. (A good example: ...\Download Manager\Various Artists - Avid - It Don't Mean A Thing (20 Big Band Classics) - 17 - Marie - Tommy Dorsey.mp3)
This makes "Fill properties from filenames" rather cumbersome.
The Name - artist on the "name" line (everything else was ok ... track#, album, etc.) made renaming files from properties a little difficult.

My solution was complicated but it worked:

It was a two step process to get the filenames right.

Following along with the name of the file while composing a "renaming properties from files" was not possible so I copied the filename (as above), selected the files from that album and selected "Fill properties from filename". I then pasted the filename into the window and renamed each item as to what action to take. On the above file, it ended up as "Ignore - Ignore - Album - Track# - Name - Artist.mp3". I don't know if the ".mp3" at the end was necessary but it worked so I include it here.
I then renamed the file from properties using "Track# - ARTIST - NAME" and ended up with "...\Tommy Dorsey\It Don't Mean A Thing (20 Big Band Classics)\17 - Tommy Dorsey - Marie.mp3". I chose this naming convention because it satifies my MP3 player in my truck.
This is a fairly complicated procedure so I would welcome any suggestions on how to streamline it as this is a common problem with EMusic files.
The ability to do batches in MJ is still WAY better than doing each track individually.

Just thought I would share.

CVIII  ::)
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2002, 11:40:29 am »

if i am not mistaken you can set at E-music what and how you want it to save the file name.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2002, 11:55:39 am »

You can and I have. It's fairly simple with few options. EMusic's Download Manager gives more naming and directory options but still won't handle compicated filenames like that. I'll check on it though. But that's a subject for a different Interact.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

TimB

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 01:00:03 pm »

There are a lot of options for this and you can type them in.  The Help file is a good source.  You should be able

Thanks!  I did check the HELP file but didn't notice the "type it in" part. ::)

I continue to be amazed by the power and flexibility of Media Jukebox! :o

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up