INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Rating" tag not showing up in .mp3 version of my .ape library  (Read 1745 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen

I'm using 11.1.144 to sync certain smart playlists to a virtual device (local HD).  I'm converting from .ape to "High" VBR .mp3 (not using 'Fast' option) during the sync.  Everything looks good and file structure is in tact.  But when I import the .mp3s into WMP and Winamp they both show the "rating" field as blank.  Other fields I care about - album, artist, genre, etc. - are fine.

1) I'm using the stars to rate my music while listening to the .ape library - I just click on them while listening to music.  Is that filling in the 'rating' field in my .ape tags?

2) Any reason that field shouldn't transfer during the handheld sync?

3) Any lightweight .mp3 tagging utility I can use to verify the tags (I don't plan to use WMP or Winamp to listen to the .mp3s anyway, they are just the only apps I have right now to take a look).

Thanks.

Jakester

• World Citizen
Re: "Rating" tag not showing up in .mp3 version of my .ape library
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:15:10 pm »

Matt?  Anyone?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 12:40:27 pm »

Rating is stored as a custom field by MC for MP3s.  It may not be available with other programs.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:00:27 pm »

I've tried this with iTunes as well just to see - 'rating' is blank.

I found this thread via search: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28900.0  I hope this means the answer to the following question is 'yes' :

I have an iPod Video on order with Amazon.  If I transfer directly to the iPod (converting from .ape to .mp3 as it transfers) will the ratings show up in the iPod?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:03:57 am »

I have an iPod Video on order with Amazon.  If I transfer directly to the iPod (converting from .ape to .mp3 as it transfers) will the ratings show up in the iPod?

Yes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:59:55 am »

Thanks Matt.  I'm looking forward to playing with the iPod when it shows up - it should be any day.

I am intrigued about this though:
  • I use MC to sync to virtual device (local HD) then import the .mp3s into iTunes -> ratings are blank
  • I use MC to sync directly to iPod -> ratings are supposed to be there per your response

You said MC uses a custom field for 'rating' for .mp3s, which may not be available in other programs.  But when syncing direct to iPod the rating makes it over intact.

Here's my best guess:
  • I just looked up the id3v2 spec and I don't see a native tag called 'rating' so I assume that's why MC uses a custom tag - no other option
  • When syncing to iPod MC knows the specific tag/field to use to transfer over the rating, so it works fine

Am I right?

Sorry Matt - I know you have real work to do versus teaching someone on the finer details of tagging, but I sure am interested!  Maybe someone else with this level of knowledge will jump in and quench my desire for info on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up