INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC startup behavior when Media Server is running.  (Read 1652 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC startup behavior when Media Server is running.
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:45:19 am »

Is there a way to "force" a certain branch of the tree to be highlighted when starting up MC while Media Server is running?  At the moment, you can define the branch of the tree you want MC to default to when it's started, but this doesn't happen if Media Server is running.  I assume that this is because Media Server is part of MC, so MC is not actually "closed" when the program is shut down.  It therefore remembers the last view, and goes right back to this view when MC is one again "started."

While this behavior makes sense when minimizing/maximizing MC, it really does NOT make sense when "closing" MC with the "X."  When I use the "X" to "close" the program, MC should behave as if it was "fully" closed the next time I open it regardless of whether or not MS is running.  The presense of Media Server, however, interferes with this behavior.

I was hoping that there was some sort of setting or command line parameter that I could use so that if the "full" MC is not currently running, it will open to the "Audio" branch even if MS is running.

Thanks for any assistance with this,

Larry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: MC startup behavior when Media Server is running.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:01:40 am »

That's the way the Media Server mode of Media Center works: when  you click on the "X", it does not stop the program, it just removes unneeded stuff from memory and continues running behind the scenes.

j

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:48:34 am »

I was playing around with this a little bit and I have a question.

Plugins shows "Library Server"
Start Menu shows "Media Server"
Startup Options shows "Remote Server"

Are these all the same thing?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 11:11:38 am »

"Library Server" = Shares your library

"Remote Server" = Runs a web page server to allow remote control of MC using IE, NetRemote, etc.

"Media Server" = Server mode to allow any server to run (Library Server, TiVo, Remote Server, etc.)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:14:36 am »

Media Server = Runs (and keeps alive) MC and its servers without the local user interface.

Library Server = One of the MC's server plugins for library clients.

Remote Server = A web server for remote access. Provides a web site that contains basic MC functions as html links. MC can be controlled with any web browser through network.

A recent thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32496

EDIT

Matt posted while I was writing this. I decided to send this anyway...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 12:21:22 pm »

So if I wanted to run a library server, then I'd start the Library Server plugin, then the Media Server app, and then I can close MC. Correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:23:30 pm »

Correct.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 12:27:38 pm »

Ok, one more question.

If I put Media Server in my Startup folder and reboot the PC, will it automatically start the Library Server? Or will I still have to start MC and start the Library Server plugin manually?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 12:42:55 pm »

I was just playing around with Media Server and Remote Server (and I think I also answered my own previous question from the post previous).

I might have found a bug.

If I'm running Remote Server and Media Server and have MC closed, and I tell Remote Server to play an image, MC pops up and displays the image. But if the image file doesn't exist (this particular one was on a USB drive that I didn't realize was turned off), it crashes the Media Server.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 04:45:47 pm »

That's the way the Media Server mode of Media Center works: when  you click on the "X", it does not stop the program, it just removes unneeded stuff from memory and continues running behind the scenes.

I understand that this is currently the way it works.  I'm simply suggesting that this isn't very intuitive behavior -- i.e. if I "close" the program and open it again (rather than simply minimizing and maximizing it) it makes sense that it would start up with the "default" display regardless of whether or not Media Server is running.  If I want MC to remember the current position, I'll minimize it.  If I "close" MC with the X, however, the logical expectation is that it will start up in the "default" position the next time it's opened.  It's just not intuitive (in fact it's annoying) to have the presense of MS force MC to ALWAYS remember the last position even when MC is "closed" rather than "minimized."

My question is whether or not there is a way to "force" MC to start up in a specific view -- i.e. some sort of command line option that would make MC start up with the Audio branch (for example) selected.  This way, the MC startup behavior would be the same regardless of whether or not MS was running, which would be more intuitive.  People who want MC to remember the current position could simply use "minimize" rather than "close."

Thanks again,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
FIXED: MC startup behavior when Media Server is running.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 02:54:09 am »

This issue is fixed as of build 152.  The startup options are now honored when the program is launched even when Media Server is running.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up