INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Future Development for other platforms  (Read 1088 times)

JONCAT

MC Future Development for other platforms
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:44:26 pm »

In ten years, with the advent of wireless broadband, are DAP's going to be able to access entire collections from any location? I'd like to think so. I hope MC has considered this possible avenue. At this point in time, I would love to be able access my music at home through some kind of MC plugin or even a Windows Mobile 5 PDA version of MC. Any discussion of this on the horizon?I'm curious if anyone has considered the evolution of Library Server into a type of shoutcast/icecast server that could stream to non-MC clients like PDA's? With Remote Server & Library Server already in place, it doesn't seem a far stretch to integrate them into some kind of remote contolled streaming plugin.

I know there are a few 3rd party options but none have worked for me at all due to the limitations of Mobile browsers. I can't even get Oddcast to feed  Shoutcast server audio even though they are connected.

And thanks for all the effort on 11.1 - I know we have had our differences (all of us) but overall it's really rewarding to see all the folks' suggestions mix and see what you guys come up with on your end.

Dr. C 8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Future Development for other platforms
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:54:16 am »

DAP.  Directory Access Protocol?

Yes, we think about it.  Here's a page that's two years old.
http://www.oneremote.com/

What are the barriers?

time
money
licensing

There are also a lot of big boys playing around in this area, and it makes things complicated.  Too many standards to choose from.

We are headed that way though.  Podcasts are a step in the right direction -- media detached from time and space.  If your pod were big enough, you could carry it all with you.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: MC Future Development for other platforms
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 08:36:56 am »

DAP.  Directory Access Protocol?

I think it's Digital Audio Player.  Perhaps better replaced with Portable Media Players (PMPs).
Pages: [1]   Go Up