INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hooking up to stereo  (Read 1276 times)

daven

hooking up to stereo
« on: September 19, 2002, 02:03:03 pm »

i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but i read skidoo's post describing how he uses MJ with his home stereo network.  can this be done over  a wifi network?  what extra hardware do i need?  

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: hooking up to stereo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 03:24:57 pm »

can this be done over  a wifi network?

Did you really mean "wifi".? If so, what is that? ?
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 03:47:07 pm »

It's what it's called.  Wireless Something Something.

Fickle Infrastructure?

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 06:50:26 pm »

i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but i read skidoo's post describing how he uses MJ with his home stereo network.  can this be done over  a wifi network?  what extra hardware do i need?  

"Home stereo network?" Hmmm. I guess it is. Here's what I do:

Den: Networked multi-purpose PC; PC line-out split, one half running to surround-sound system, one half running up to second floor server room and into amplifier.

Second floor server room: Dedicated music server PC with two sound cards; line-outs running into amplifiers; amplifier speaker outs running into speaker distribution blocks; speaker distribution blocks connected to speakers all over the house.

So, I have three possible sources for whole-house audio, and the PC in the den can serve as a source for the den stereo system.

My network is hard-wired (regular old Cat-5E; RJ-45 jacks everywhere). My speakers are hard-wired. The only wireless technology I have in the house is the Siemens Gigaset telephone system.

But the answer to your question is that your networking transport shouldn't matter. Ethernet is ethernet, as far as MJ is concerned. To plug your sound card(s) into an amplifier, you don't really need any special hardware. Depending on the sound card, you may have to go to Radio Shack and get a stereo miniplug to RCA converter cable, but that's it. Those are like $1.50 or something.

daven

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 06:58:07 pm »

thanks for the info.  i was looking at something like this: http://www.audiotron.net/audiotron/producthome.asp but didn't want to drop $300.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 07:09:21 pm »

thanks for the info.  i was looking at something like this: http://www.audiotron.net/audiotron/producthome.asp but didn't want to drop $300.

There's no reason it shouldn't work over an 802.11b connection, but you'll need an access point or something wherever you put the box, so factor that into the price as well. But if you can get an audio cable from your PC to your amp, you don't need that box. Got a drill? Got a fish tape? Have at it!

rickww

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 11:55:26 am »

I have a laptop connected via a wireless lan that I stream my MP3's to.  Surround sound receiver has a USB input that's connected to the USB port on the laptop so the receiver acts like a set of USB speakers.  Am currently ripping all my CD's to my linux box and will be using MJ instead of trying to get these old eyes to read the tiny print on the edge of the CD's!  

Wireless is working well, I've let it play for a couple of hours straight and it's never skipped a beat and my signal level is only around 40% at the stereo system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up