INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist starts at last track and stops.  (Read 3680 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Playlist starts at last track and stops.
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:35:38 pm »

Loading and playing a playlist still starts from the last song then stops. (Continuous play off).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Recent Playing Now's behavior
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:12:12 pm »

Loading and playing a playlist still starts from the last song then stops. (Continuous play off).

We can't reproduce this.  Please start a new thread with an exact step-by-step.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 02:27:04 pm »

We can't reproduce this.  Please start a new thread with an exact step-by-step.  Thanks.
I *think* avpman is talking about entries in the 'recent playing nows' list.
Playing Now itself also behaves this way.
So, if 'repeat' is turned off, the last track is played, playback stops.
If you'd like to hear the list again, and click 'play', all you get to hear is that last track in the list, and playback stops again.
It would be nice if repeat is turned off, that after the last track is played, focus were returned to the first track in the list rather than left on the last track.

-marko.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 02:30:47 pm »

If you'd like to hear the list again, and click 'play', all you get to hear is that last track in the list, and playback stops again.
It would be nice if repeat is turned off, that after the last track is played, focus were returned to the first track in the list rather than left on the last track.

-marko.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Thanks!

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:22:34 pm »

-marko.

This pretty much the way it's always worked isn't it? But I agree, it would be a great feature!

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 04:29:18 pm »

This pretty much the way it's always worked isn't it? But I agree, it would be a great feature!

I have one playlist that everytime I load it the pointer is at the LAST track. So if I hit "play" it plays only the last song and stops (because I have continuious play turned off). So I think there's still a small bug somewhere.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Recent Playing Now's behavior
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:28:34 pm »

I like that it stops (and remains) on the last song played . . . . this serves to remind of where I left off mid-playlist,
and after play when it remains at the end of the playlist it serves to remind me that I have already played all the tracks and should replace with fresh.
What can I say . . . . short-term memory loss is . . . .  .well it's something  :P

But the issue with this is that when you hit play, it will still play that last song - then stop. It's not very user intuative the way it is. But that's just my opinion.  ::)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 03:54:41 pm »

I like that it stops (and remains) on the last song played . . . . this serves to remind of where I left off mid-playlist...
I really like this behaviour too, both in playing now, and in its 'recent' playlist entries. I most definately would not want this to change.

....and after play when it remains at the end of the playlist it serves to remind me that I have already played all the tracks and should replace with fresh.
What can I say . . . . short-term memory loss is . . . .  .well it's something  :P
Having bumped into the 'focus stuck on the last track in the list' thing a few times, I do feel it would be nice if the last track could get special treatment, so that once played, and repeat is off, playback stops, and focus is returned to the first track.
I would welcome the change, but it's not something that's features in my top 5 MC frustrations ;)

-marko.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 04:21:35 pm »

I really like this behaviour too, both in playing now, and in its 'recent' playlist entries. I most definately would not want this to change.
Having bumped into the 'focus stuck on the last track in the list' thing a few times, I do feel it would be nice if the last track could get special treatment, so that once played, and repeat is off, playback stops, and focus is returned to the first track.
I would welcome the change, but it's not something that's features in my top 5 MC frustrations ;)

-marko.

How about a tiny little user defined option - "Return playlist focus to beginning when done - Y/N" ?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:57:02 pm »

which then causes playlist to be played & played & played & played...

like as if continous was on. but it's not.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 07:06:03 pm »

which then causes playlist to be played & played & played & played...

like as if continous was on. but it's not.

Noooooooo, it would return focus to the first track, then if continuous play was off it would stop (until you again hit play).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 07:33:05 pm »

My car CD player doesn't have a continuous option -- it's always on.  And I think they got it right.

I'll press stop if I'm sick of hearing music.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:23:49 pm »

My question is only somewhat related.  Somehow, and I don't really know how, but it was a LONG time ago.  I lost my "Recent Playing Now's" Playlist Group.  I can't get it back (I've tried using the "Create Stock Playlists" feature to no avail).

Any help?

Nevermind.  I just had to make a new blank Playlist group and call it that.  Then play something.  Duh!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 10:25:33 pm »

My car CD player doesn't have a continuous option -- it's always on.  And I think they got it right.

I'll press stop if I'm sick of hearing music.

I agree.  I've always thought that feature was kind of weird and semi-useless.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 11:54:29 pm »

Personally, if I hit play and only hear one song I get the idea to reset the playlist.

What I would like to see is the ability to stop after the current song.
I like that ability in other players.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 12:17:18 pm »

Ok, we've really gotten off my original intent for posting this. So I'll try to explain again.

Let's say you have a CD player (like in Matt's car), and Continuous Play is OFF. The CD plays all the tracks and then stops. If you hit play again, to replay the same CD, it starts playing - from the first track and goes to the last track and stops. It DOESN'T start at the last track, play that track and then stop. But this is the way MC currently handles a playlist when it's finished playing!

So all I'm asking is that MC do one of two things when a playlist is finished (and continuous play is OFF):

a) Return focus to the first track and stop.
OR
b) Stop at the last track, if the user hits Play again, then start playing from the FIRST track.

It just seems weird the way it's set up now. It's not intuative and not similar to any other music player - CD or otherwise.

Thanks for listening!

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 09:54:31 am »

I would bet that once MC is released from Beta this will become more of an issue. I don't think the general public will be happy with the current behaviour.

It's not intuitave or logical to start playing a playlist from the last track and then stop.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 09:59:00 am »

Ok, we've really gotten off my original intent for posting this. So I'll try to explain again.

Let's say you have a CD player (like in Matt's car), and Continuous Play is OFF. The CD plays all the tracks and then stops. If you hit play again, to replay the same CD, it starts playing - from the first track and goes to the last track and stops. It DOESN'T start at the last track, play that track and then stop. But this is the way MC currently handles a playlist when it's finished playing!

So all I'm asking is that MC do one of two things when a playlist is finished (and continuous play is OFF):

a) Return focus to the first track and stop.
OR
b) Stop at the last track, if the user hits Play again, then start playing from the FIRST track.

It just seems weird the way it's set up now. It's not intuative and not similar to any other music player - CD or otherwise.

Thanks for listening!

Could you turn Continuous on, and then just press Stop if you don't want to hear music anymore?

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 10:15:23 am »

Could you turn Continuous on, and then just press Stop if you don't want to hear music anymore?

Of course, but this behaviour also happens when I first load a saved playlist. The playlist loads and the pointer is on the last track. So I have to move the pointer to the first track and hit play. If I leave the pointer on the last track and hit play, it plays that track only and stops.

It's just not intuative or like any other player, software or hardware. I just think eventually you'll wind up fixing it anyway cause people will complain.  ;D

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Playlist starts at last track and stops.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 11:20:11 am »

avpman, this has been default behaviour for as long as I can remember, away back to the halcyon days of MC9.0, so, it's quite probably safe to assume that it's not that big an issue for 'joe public' as you might think.

Lisa's 'turntable' analogy was pretty good really.
two turntables, both play vinyl discs, but one returns the arm to it's rest ready for the next play, while the other gets stuck in the run-out area until you manually place it on the rest.

there's no right or wrong about it, one does and one does not. that's it.
another possibility might be to press ctrl+r after reloading the playlist. you'll still hear the last track first, but then all the rest will follow after it in a random order.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 11:51:22 am »

avpman, this has been default behaviour for as long as I can remember, away back to the halcyon days of MC9.0, so, it's quite probably safe to assume that it's not that big an issue for 'joe public' as you might think.

Lisa's 'turntable' analogy was pretty good really.
two turntables, both play vinyl discs, but one returns the arm to it's rest ready for the next play, while the other gets stuck in the run-out area until you manually place it on the rest.

there's no right or wrong about it, one does and one does not. that's it.
another possibility might be to press ctrl+r after reloading the playlist. you'll still hear the last track first, but then all the rest will follow after it in a random order.

Oh my, don't want to start a flame here! But - we no longer live in the world of vinyl and turntables. Pop a CD in your CD player with the repeat function turned off. When you hit play, does it start at the last track, play only that track and stop? Nope, it starts at the beginning and plays the entire way through and stops. If you hit play again - it starts over from the beginning!

Also, please understand that I could care less what MC does when it's done playing a playlist (keep focus on the last track or reset it to the first track). The more annoying thing here is that when I load a playlist and hit play - it STARTS on the last track, plays that last track and then quits.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 02:00:10 pm »

Of course, but this behaviour also happens when I first load a saved playlist. The playlist loads and the pointer is on the last track.

I still can't reproduce this part.  If I play a playlist (right-click on the tree and pick "Play") it always starts at the beginning.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 02:10:20 pm »

I still can't reproduce this part.  If I play a playlist (right-click on the tree and pick "Play") it always starts at the beginning.

unless it's a playlist from the 'recent playing nows' group, in which case, it starts playback from the file that was active at the time it was saved there

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 02:37:45 pm »

Come to think of it my last car player had what i would term true resume. If i stopped somewhere to stock up, then started, it continued from the exact point it stopped.

I remember liking this very same feature in a portable mp3 CD player called the Rio Volt. Not only is it great for books, but it somehow seems logical, pick up where you last left off.

If not, pop in another CD ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up