INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ogg Vorbis problems  (Read 1398 times)

marcusaschneider

Ogg Vorbis problems
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:00:08 pm »

This seems serious, at least it is very annoying:

When Ripping/Encoding to ogg-vorbis, no information will get stored in ogg-tags at all. One has to apply a manual "Fill tags from library" after ripping/and encoding - but not until after the database has finished saving.
I do not know when this first occured, but it must have been around for some time, as I discovered half of my files being without tags.

System info:
Media Center Registered 11.1.161 -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 548 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 34 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: LITE-ON LTR-52327S        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: LITEON  CD-ROM LTN403L    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive I: QK3601N KGK271H           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  LTR-52327S         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Regards, Marcus

marcusaschneider

Re: Media Center 11.1.161
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 04:08:16 pm »

And another one that was around some time ago:

After ripping/encoding (ogg-vorbis, other file formats not tested) there are lots of temporary files left in the same directory as the ripped/encoded files. Settings indicate that temporary files should be deleted...

Marcus

floppydisc

• Recent member
Re: Ogg Vorbis problems
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:29:52 pm »

The temporary files are actually the ones with tags ... I noticed that some months ago but as I didn't use it since then I forgot about it.
Just rename the temp files to the according ogg files and it should work.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:35:19 pm »

Is this issue back?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23031.msg201232#msg201232

It was supposedly fixed in 11.1.28:

MC 11.1.28 (9/27/05)

6. Fixed: Ripping to Ogg Vorbis would leave temporary files and not save cover art.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marcusaschneider

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 12:09:56 am »

Is this issue back?

Yes, this is the image issue.
Tagging seems a new one.

Marcus

marcusaschneider

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:14:45 am »

The temporary files are actually the ones with tags ... I noticed that some months ago but as I didn't use it since then I forgot about it.
Just rename the temp files to the according ogg files and it should work.

;D This must be a late April's ...
I would not be using MC if I intended to manually rip my files, then use another tool  to encode and afterwards rename and tag the file to whatever pleases me.

Marcus

marcusaschneider

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:06:35 am »

After some investigation the following mechanism seems to apply:

1. Rip and encode to ogg
2. Take the resulting file, copy to *.tmp (as backup, in case something goes wrong) and fill the original file's tags from library.
Unfortunately
a) fill tags from library uses information stored in the db. If the db is not yet updated (my computer is somewhat slow...), the tags will be emptied (why not use information cached in memory?  At least the GUI shows all information correctly even if the db is not yet updated)
b) the original files had all the information in their tags. (That is why renaming these will end up in correctly tagged files...)

The same mechanism applies when just doing a "update tags from library". But as the db is already up to date, the original files will be correctly tagged.

(Un)fortunately someone forgot to implement "delete temp-files after successful action", or the implementation does not work...

Regards, Marcus

marcusaschneider

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 01:23:06 pm »

Is this issue back?

Hi Alex B,

tried to reproduce, but turning on/off "download cover art after ripping" did not change the behaviour. Sometimes [!!] tags will be written, but most of the time not. Which leads me back to my guess that it is a matter of the computer's speed and the question whether the database is already stored when tagging occurs...

Marcus

Flybane

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 10:54:53 pm »

Yes, I just installed MC because it supports ogg (sick of choice between annoying aac and itunes mp3...) but then the tags don't all work, and although I've gotten my iTunes to play oggs, it's not really worth it if the tags are going to have to be done by hand...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 02:32:36 am »

I think these tagging problems are fixed by now. Please try the build 11.1.183 (or newer) from the top of this board.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up