INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More on problem with recording vinyl  (Read 1202 times)

tedm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
More on problem with recording vinyl
« on: June 19, 2003, 03:34:19 pm »

This is a follow up to a previous question on a problem I'm having with recording vinyl.  I'm using MJ PLUs 8.0.393.

After doing some further investigation, it turns out that each track that has been copied, when played individually, does not have the overlap at the beginning from the previous track. It's only when I play the entire album that the overlap occurs.  (As I mentioned in my previous message, the meter on the bottom left portion of the screen indicates it is buffering as it comes to the last few seconds of each track, which is where the overlap begins.)  I've found a fairly convoluted way to get around this after initially recording by then using the Media Editor to add silence at the end of each track, but it seems to me that I shouldn't have to go through this two-step process.  
Although this takes care of the overlap problem, I still have the same problem with a "skip" often occurring at the beginning of each track.  Again, as I mentioned in my previous message, this seems to relate to the fact that the recording time counter gets up to about 4 seconds and then starts all over again as each track begins recording.  This seems to be especially a problem when there is a small gap between cuts on the original vinyl.

I'd appreciate any assistance in dealing with these problems.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: More on problem with recording vinyl
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 07:17:49 pm »

Am I reading your post right? When you say "It's only when I play the entire album that the overlap occurs", it sounds llike you've got cross fading turned on (see MJ>Settings>Options>Playback). Check the duration. If this is not what you meant then...

The best way to do it (I've found) is to disable automatic track splitting and just record a whole album side at a time. From there I use Media Editor (or similar) to break the side into individual tracks. It's labor intensive but gives the best results. You could fine tune the auto track splitter options to give better results, but it sounds like you've done that.

If your encoding these wav's to mp3's then you could encode a whole album side, then use MP3Cut to break it into individual tracks.

10-27

tedm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 07:52:26 am »

Yes, that was causing the problem with the overlap on the tracks, and I have now fixed it.  Thans very much.

I do still have the problem with the "skips" at the beginning of tracks which don't relate to playback at all.  I may try doing some further adjusting with automatic track splitting, but if I can't get rid of the skipping, I'll go to recording the entire side and then splitting them afterward.

It sounds like you've done this two different ways, one using Media Editor on wav files and the other using MP3Cut on mp3 files.  Which do you prefer?  How do you divide into tracks in Media Editor, and how do I get access to MP3Cut?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 08:53:27 am »

Actually it is called MP3DirectCut (link). I'm an ogg dogger so I generally use EAC or MC's Media Editor to split. Then I use WavGain to RG the wav files...then encode to ogg. I've used DirectCut on a few mp3's and it works real nice. ME's Help file will give you the info on usage. More often than not now...if I like the album sides enough, I don't bother to split them and leave them as a large ogg.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up