INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 171 install err - JRtools.dll lock  (Read 2877 times)

jagdriver

• World Citizen
171 install err - JRtools.dll lock
« on: April 11, 2006, 04:19:36 pm »

I'm getting a 171 install error that I know was cleaned up a couple of builds ago, only to resurface. This pertains to a "lock" having somehow been placed on the JRtools.dll file, so the install stops cold. And I had rebooted since my prior MC session, so I fail to understand why there would be a lock on this DLL when I haven't yet run MC during this boot.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 171 install err - JRtools.dll lock
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:36:04 pm »

Explorer shell extensions.  Windows doesn't politely unload extensions after it finishes with them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:52:18 pm »

Yeah, Ok.... so what should I do?

All other incremental releases have installed just fine until this one. As I wrote, I had not run MC during this boot, so I fail to understand why Windows would still have it loaded from a prior session.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 08:27:27 pm »

Reboot and install.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:56:51 am »

Rebooting is not an acceptable answer as it never was this way. This only has appeared in the past 6 or so builds so something changed. Hopefully you guys know what it is was that got changed and can fix the problem.
Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 07:49:12 am »

Rebooting is not an acceptable answer
i think your response is not looking deeper into the possible problem, and it could help

why?

Rebooting will close the already running .dll

reinstalling would then install the new .dll that could not be installed before because it was running.

I however did not have such a problem...
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 09:29:46 am »

I mentioned elsewhere that in my case it was Directory Opus that was locking that DLL. BUT, I have not changed Directory Opus and have only changed MC with every build. That means, at least to me, that something has changed in MC to cause this problem.
Jeff

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 09:32:57 am »

i think your response is not looking deeper into the possible problem, and it could help

why?

Rebooting will close the already running .dll

reinstalling would then install the new .dll that could not be installed before because it was running.

I however did not have such a problem...

I think many of us understand what the reboot is doing, but I agree that a Reboot is NOT acceptable to install an upgrade my Media Player...  This was not required before, so obviously there is a way to get around the .dll being locked issue.

-John

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:34:21 am »

As a further debug, I had a machine that was running version 158 AND running Directory Opus too. I just installed 171 over it without the jrtools.dll error.
Jeff

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:58:02 am »

I'm going to reiterate the problem: I had *just booted* W2K, then immediately performed the installation. Since I had not yet run the prior version of MC, there was no reason for the DLL to be locked.

No, something's amiss here and, as reported, it just started happening around build 166.

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:18:40 am »

jag--
I run Win2k and experienced the jrtools.dll issue with MC.  What I experienced was that the problematic versions will not let go of the jrtools.dll when another version, even a clean version, is installed after it.  The latest versions that have this issue are 11.1.166 and 11.1.167.  ANY version, even a prior version, will show the error mesage when installed after a problematic version. 

You say that you had rebooted and directly tried an install and got this message.  I share king's skepticism that MC is the only issue here.  How is the dll running after a reboot?  Do you have automatic startup for library server, or some such?  Since my system info is similar to yours, I'm confident that this exact issue has been rectified in current versions.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:38 am »

I'm going to reiterate the problem: I had *just booted* W2K, then immediately performed the installation. Since I had not yet run the prior version of MC, there was no reason for the DLL to be locked.

Any use of Explorer or right-click on the desktop will load the Media Center shell extensions.  Windows doesn't unload them nicely.

Put the installer on your desktop.  Reboot.  Double-click the installer without doing anything else.

If it still doesn't work, uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 01:23:32 pm »

Indeed, the prior build I had installed was 166.

Executing the 171 EXE at a CMD window solved the problem.

Thanks

dcwebman

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 07:29:00 am »

Matt,
In summary, does this mean that JRiver's view of this problem that suddenly started occuring is that everything is okay and we now have to reboot in order to install MC?  Or is JRiver accepting this is a problem that occurred starting in apparently build 166 and that they are working on a fix?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:50:32 am »

There were a few builds where shell extensions kept JRTools.dll locked.  This doesn't happen with 171 and newer.  If you're upgrading from a build that kept JRTools.dll locked, you may need to reboot.

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 07:59:47 am »

There were a few builds where shell extensions kept JRTools.dll locked.  This doesn't happen with 171 and newer.  If you're upgrading from a build that kept JRTools.dll locked, you may need to reboot.
Great. When 172 comes out, I'll be able to confirm if it's fixed or not.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up