INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excellent Program to backup media files  (Read 1513 times)

olarte

• World Citizen
Excellent Program to backup media files
« on: April 12, 2006, 01:59:05 pm »

;) I'm not sure where to post this but I HAD to share it with all of you.

If you are like me, you have tons of MP3's Jpgs etc... begging to be lost etc... that's why we all use MC right?

Well I picked up a WD MYBOOK 400gb USB drive excellent so far. but what do you use to back it up?

Well I researched and like MC itself, I found a GEM of a program...  it's $20 and it is not just a backup program (although it can do that) but a file\folder sync program. You can keep deleted files\folders, not keep them, send them to the recycle bin etc...

I  plan to do all my work on one PC (tags cover art etc). then simpl use allway sync to quickly (and I mean very very quickly) sync to my son's PCs and every week or so do this to the external 400gb drive.

YOU HAVE to check it out. Between MC and Allway sync, these two programs are truly great finds and I will tell any one that will listen!!!

http://allwaysync.com/index.html

This program is simply awesome, it's faster than the typical backup programs, smarter, very easy to use, and can do a simply two or 3 way file sync, to a full fledged backup.

Best the pro (for syncing more than 20,000 files) it is only $20.

Check it out....

olarte

• World Citizen
Re: Excellent Program to backup media files
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:39:02 am »

I did a little more research and...

Uhm... apparently Microsoft now has a free tool called Synctoy that will do the same thing.

I tested it yesterday with 200gb of files only found one problem file (path too long).

The only problems are:

It needs .net framework 1.1.4xxx which is hard to find although it's on the bottom of the synctoy page at microsoft.

It will not delete the empty directories... so you'll need a batch file or something else to remove these if you care.

other than that it did a great job and it's free...
Pages: [1]   Go Up