INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Trial: Starting Problems  (Read 1381 times)

webjogi73

• Recent member
MC Trial: Starting Problems
« on: April 18, 2006, 03:16:49 am »

Hello erveryone,

I just downloaded the MC trial yestertday and strated to organize my photos first. I am really impressed about this software but there are a few basic problems I need your suppoirt:

1. It is not possible for me to cut, copy & paste my photos from one folder to another. I am using CTRL+X or the item in the menu but nothing happens (the paste function is still not avialable)

2. I tried to rename some photios and it is perfevtly working within the libary. But is there a way to rename the photo-files, in order to see the new name for example in the windows Explorer, too ?

3. Is there a way to add new folfers in the MC which are directly available at the Win Explorer, too ? I`d like to reorganze my database directly in the MC-software

It would be great if someone could shed up the light for me.

Thanks in advance.

Jörg
best regards from Germany

Joerg

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Trial: Starting Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:01:35 am »

You can drag and drop between folders.

You could use the My Computers section of MC. 

Library Tools, rename files from properties, will move files to new directories, based on the tags.  Try a few before you do very many.

Filename and Name aren't the same fields.

webjogi73

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:14:22 am »

thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatly drag and drop is not working, too ...

Joerg

webjogi73

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 07:20:08 am »

I just tried the section "my computers".

overthere it is possible to copy, cut and paste. So this helps a little bit.

Anyway, shoudn`t it be possible to copy, cut & paste (or drag and drop) in the libary, too ?

Joerg

webjogi73

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 07:32:57 am »

up to 5 minutes ago I just worked at Images / Disk Location, as I wasn`t aware about the "my computer"-section. 

But in the section Images /.... it isn`t possible for me copy & paste. Now I am consifering if it would make sense to so this overthere or not. I assume that it would make sende, would`nt it ?

Joerg

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 08:51:59 am »

up to 5 minutes ago I just worked at Images / Disk Location, as I wasn`t aware about the "my computer"-section. 

But in the section Images /.... it isn`t possible for me copy & paste. Now I am consifering if it would make sense to so this overthere or not. I assume that it would make sende, would`nt it ?

Currently drag-n-drop (and clipboard) in library views can do tagging (drop on "Abba" to make the files "Abba"), but disk location views don't currently support drag-n-drop / tagging mode.

For managing disk files, use the methods Jim mentioned above.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 09:37:48 am »

Just to explain briefly the reasoning for this...

MC manages the "tags" or file metadata (Artist, Album, Name, Date, People, Places, Description, Comments, etc) separately from the file's location itself.  Though the View Schemes under Images operate similar to folders in Windows Explorer they really are not the same.  They are ways of looking at the data in MC's database of these "tags" (called a View Scheme in MC lexicon).  If you want to make Windows Explorer's directory structure match one of these View Schemes (or any other possible structure) you can build it yourself using the Rename Files from Properties tool.

This is powerful because it allows you to browse your files in many different ways, where Windows Explorer only lets you have one possible path to the file in question (short of using aliases, but even those you need to set up manually).  I, personally, keep the disk files on my system organized differently depending on what type of file it is.  My Music files go into /Images/[Year]/[Album] (with the filename set to [Serial] - [Name], while my Music files go in /Music/[Artist]/[Album]/ (with filename: [Track #] - [Name]).  My video files actually have different naming structures depending on the type of Video (movies get one system, TV shows a different one).

However, even though I keep my images in /Images/[Year]/[Album] format on disk, I can still easily browse and find any Image I'd like inside MC using [Album] directly (without knowing what year it was taken in), or using [Keyword], [People], [Places], etc, etc.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

webjogi73

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 10:03:39 am »

Thank you very much for the explantaion and for helping to understand the software a little bit better.

For me MC seems to be a very powerful tool which will help me to get my multimedia-files organized. I am really looking forward to test this software much more in detail.

Thanks again and kind greetings from Germany.

Joerg
Pages: [1]   Go Up