INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windowed Mode : How do you do that?!?  (Read 1923 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Windowed Mode : How do you do that?!?
« on: April 27, 2006, 07:07:29 pm »

I've seen screenshots of Playing Now in windowed mode, floating above the main MC interface.

How do you do that? Everytime I go to windowed mode, the main MC interface disappears, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it back without leaving windowed mode.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: How do you do that?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:19:04 pm »

And on that note... why does Windowed mode have three completely different buttons to go to Full Screen mode, and three completely different buttons that exit windowed mode?

For instance... these three buttons all go from Windowed mode to full screen...

These three all exit full screen mode to standard mode...

And this particular image is especially interesting as it shows up twice in windowed mode, but, depending on if it's on the top or bottom bar, will either exit windowed mode to standard mode or go fullscreen.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Windowed Mode : How do you do that?!?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 02:22:21 am »

morning Doof, how's you? all good I trust :)

If you have MC minimising to the tray, the main GUI will go into hiding when you enter windowed mode.

to have both on screen at the same time, you'll need to turn "minimise to tray" off.

As for those buttons, I've oft wondered about those too. I never use them, choosing the hotkey combos instead, and from the very first day I started using MC I've wanted to be able to permanantly hide those 'display bars'. I find them both ugly and intrusive. there's not much about WMP that I envy, but I do like the way they do their display bars. They don't show unless you call them by mousing to the edge of the screen, and when they do show, they look pretty too. Maybe they'll get some attention in v12 :).

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 04:59:10 am »

Yeh I've mentioned the surplas of buttons which do the same thing
before too.  Kinda confusing!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:38:36 am »

morning Doof, how's you? all good I trust :)

I'm good, thanks. :) Yourself?

If you have MC minimising to the tray, the main GUI will go into hiding when you enter windowed mode.

to have both on screen at the same time, you'll need to turn "minimise to tray" off.

What a bizarre connection. I never would have figured that out. Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 04:59:04 pm »

BTW.... Happy birthday a day early, Doof.

;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:22 pm »

BTW.... Happy birthday a day early, Doof.

;D

Why, thank you. :)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 08:05:02 am »

The other way way to do it (a secret way for special people only) is to shift click on "Window mode" in playing now. You can then see both the main MC interface and the windowed mode. It's great on dual screen computers.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 08:21:01 am »

The other way way to do it (a secret way for special people only) is to shift click on "Window mode" in playing now. You can then see both the main MC interface and the windowed mode. It's great on dual screen computers.

I have always restored the main MC window from the Task Bar after switching the display to the Windowed mode.

I wasn't aware of this "shift" option. It should be documented. Did you find it by chance?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 09:30:59 am »

It used to be an icon on the playing now menu bars next to "full screen" etc. and i cried when it got taken away :'( and being the nice guy that he is, JimH replied telling me that it was still possible.

Actually, one of the first things I'm asked by people I've introduced to the software is how to achieve this. I think it should be put back onto the main interface. I use it all the time with photos.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 11:18:08 am »

I have always used the Windowed mode so that the main window is visible too. Until now MC has needlessly minimized the main window to the Task Bar. Now I can press the shift key and avoid the window restore step.

I have never used the "Minimize to System Tray" option so I have not experienced the problem Doof had.

The shift key works also with the main menu View > Windowed View command, so it is not necessary to go to Playing Now and use the button on the control bar for activating the floating display. Unfortunately the shift key does not work with the Ctrl+3 keyboard shortcut.

EDIT

A feature request: please assign Ctrl+6 to "shift-Windowed View". Its name could be something like "Floating Display View".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 11:31:53 am »

What would be really cool is if Shift-Windowed Mode was always available from the
System Tray  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up