INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 / Flac problem while browsing from Roku Soundbridge  (Read 3051 times)

tjg001

• Recent member
MC11 / Flac problem while browsing from Roku Soundbridge
« on: April 29, 2006, 02:46:01 pm »

I've been testing the trial version of MC11. I'm having trouble with my Roku Soundbridge. While playing a song and browsing for another title, MC11 will crash. I can play songs for hours with no problems. It seems to be the browsing and playing different songs that causes the problems.

I call it a crash but there are no indications of an error (i.e. no blue screen, error messages). It looks as if the program simply exits.

I upgraded to vesion 11.1.178 but the problem persists. Now, MC11 will crash quicker and more predictively (play a song, advance to the next song a few times). With this version of MC11, XP notifies me of the crash. From the error message, it seems to be related to FLAC:

AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.1.178.0    ModName: in_flac.dll ModVer: 1.3.0.0    Offset: 0001ccae

My Configuration:
WinXP SP2
Intel MoBo with 500MB memory
FLAC music library on a shared drive on a seperate computer (also XP)

I've already searched the forums but did see anything matching this issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC11 Crashes while browsing from Roku Soundbridge
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:49:58 pm »

Could you test with a local library just to eliminate that as a possible problem?

There are some strange crash problems associated with other applications or drivers.  You'll find a partial list here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:53:13 pm »

Also, there is a flac thread here.  You can check whether you have the latest plug-in.

tjg001

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 12:31:54 pm »

I installed MC11 (11.1.161) on the computer with the FLAC library but this produced the same results. I also installed the latest FLAC decoder plug-in from Scot Thompson (version 1.6.2) which also crashes. I've been able to readily repeat the crash by playing a song and pressing the Next Track button several times in a row.

To issolate this a FLAC issue, I used an MP3 only library with positive results. I could rapidly press the Next Track button 25 times in a row with no problems. I also set the upnp server to alway convert just to see if my problem was related to transcoding. This also worked fine, MC11 seems to be stable.

I check out the suggested threads but did see anything that related to my situation. So far my tests seem to point to FLAC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 02:55:48 pm »

It looks like you're running build 178 on one PC and 161 on the other.  They should both be 178.  That may not fix it, but they should always be the same build.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:33:57 pm »

... I also installed the latest FLAC decoder plug-in from Scot Thompson (version 1.6.2) which also crashes...

I don't know if this helps anything (I don't have a Roku), but Scot's latest FLAC input plugin is v.1.6.5 (or did you make a typo?).

It's available here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161914
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tjg001

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:39:32 am »

AlexB ... good catch, I must have clicked on the wrong download.  :-\

Using MC11 (11.1.178) and FLAC (1.6.5) still produces a crash almost immediately. Unfortunately, I can't provide any details because MC11 appears to exit rather than crashing.

I'm curious if this problem is restricted to me or are other Roku users able to transcode FLAC to the Soundbridge?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:23:12 am »

Can you convert the FLAC files to the MP3 format you want, just on the PC (no Roku involved)?  If so, try adjusting options for encoding.

tjg001

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 11:11:51 am »

Prior to testing my Roku Soundbridge, I had tested transcoding FLAC / MP3 to my Ipod mini. I did several 2+ GB downloads to the Ipod with only one issue ... Simultaneous Conversion would cause skipping on Ipod playback (both LAME and GOGO encoders down to 160Kbps).  This was resolved by not allowing simultaneous conversions.

I did test the Soundbridge with FLAC transcoding to GOGO @ 160Kbps with the same results.

scthom

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 11:23:26 pm »

This is similar to the problem noted here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31772.0

At the time, the only solution was to just click a bit slower.  ;D

Matt has suggested the problem might be thread related, such that threads are colliding (as opposed to memory, which from my testing seemed to be the problem).  I'll put it on my list of things to fix.  Unfortunately, I can't give you an estimated fix date  :) as this one is a little tougher to diagnose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up