INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "failed to connect to server"  (Read 1097 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
"failed to connect to server"
« on: September 18, 2002, 12:00:23 pm »

I'm trying to figure out why one of my computers (connected via static IP by router) fails to connect to the media server (v8.0.372).  I've tried just about everything I can think of, but my laptop's installation (& installed again) is frustrating me.  This Win2k computer works with the network in every other context ... internet, and file sharing ... but I cannot get it to recognize the server found on the same router.  It is also configured similar to another Win2k computer which can find the server.

Anyone have some ideas or troubleshooting tips???
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 12:16:07 pm »

You need to have the same version of MJ on all machines.  Make sure the port is the same and that it is not used by something else.

Firewalls can be a problem.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

shAf

RE: Firewall & media server
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 03:45:25 am »

Firewalls can indeed be a problem ... and I thought I had disabled "Zonealarm".  The problem is that simply quitting ZA does not disable it ... it still leaves a service (Win2k) running called "vsmon.exe".  The only way to completely disable ZA is to start it up ... enter into its prefs, and disable the checkbox "run ZA at startup" ... and re-boot.  If "vsmon.exe" shows as a service and ZA startup is disabled, then you must enable "ZA startup" and boot ... and then then disable "za startup" and boot again.  The latter was my case, and now VA is completely disabled, and media server works  :o)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up