INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring photo playlists to IPOD  (Read 2807 times)

razumik

• World Citizen
Transferring photo playlists to IPOD
« on: February 13, 2006, 05:01:04 pm »

Hello.  I am having some difficulty transferring photo playlists to my IPOD and I am not sure if it is MC, my IPOD, or simply something that I am doing wrong.

Here is what I am doing:
1. Create a playlist under the main playlist group and add nothing but images to it.
2. Add this playlist to the list to by syned to IPOD.
3. Sync ipod

When I do this, all of the photos are transferred over but they only display in album folders and there is no trace of the playlists that I have transferred.  I can still view all of the photos, but it is somewhat tedious trying to find particular photos.

Does anyone else have this issue.  Is there something simple that I need to be doing? 

BTW...I am using the most recent version of 11.1 and have restored, re-initiallized, re-synced and continue to have the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transferring photo playlists to IPOD
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:04:08 pm »

Please copy and paste your system info from MC Help.

What iPod are you using?  Not all support photos. 

Has the iPod software ever been updated?  Apple fixes bugs from time to time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:08:10 pm »

I can duplicate the problem.  We'll take a look at it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:38:57 pm »

iPod playlists only support audio and video.

Images are a separate database wehre only one level of nesting is possible.  MC uses the album name for this nesting level.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:33:06 pm »

I've tried two photo lists to the Nano.  One shows up.  The other doesn't.  Both are all jpg files.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 09:40:41 pm »

Jim/Matt...thanks for responding.

Currently iTunes will allow me to sync all photo albums that I have stored in Photoshop Elements.  This allows me to have the same photo in multiple photo albums (basically a photo playlist).

Is there anyway for me to duplicate this effect in MC?  In other words, can you think of anyway that I can have the same photo in mulitple albums without creating duplicate copies of the photo in MC?  ...though I am not entirely sure that iTunes is not creating duplicate copies of the file during the sync.

Thanks again,
Dan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 10:47:10 pm »

Currently an image can only show up under one album.  Our hands are tied more than we like because the iPod doesn't have a real photo DB or flexible mechanism for browsing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pank2002

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 02:59:22 pm »

You'd increase the flexibility by length if one could put an expression in the album tag. I.e. I've made my own field which is like [date (year)], [date (month)]: [Event]. At the moment I have to manually copy this to the album tag. It would be nice if you could put such an expression as the default for the iPod Photo Album Tag.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 04:19:33 pm »

Can I start a debate here?

I would love my images to show up under the playlist/smartlist name, not album.
That way I could have smartlists that get updated with every sync. Plus I don't have to update the album tag for every photo. That is an extra step I wouldn't need to do. This way you could also have photos in multiple slideshows. (you may have to duplicate the image, but the user wouldn't know.)

I know there would be a problem for people who don't sync by palylists, but I think most people do. Plus playlist name is more like the way the music is synced. If I made a playlist of my favorate 50 songs, synced it to the pod, and then have the songs only show up under 50 different albums, not the original playlist name it would be quite useless. (You wouldn't make the user change all the album tags to the playlist name!)

A playlist/smartlist/slideshow sync just makes more sense to me.

Anyone else agree?

Thanks

Jim

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 08:50:06 am »

I am bumping this topic because I just bought an iPod video and am now trying to synch my photos with it using MC11.  Like the people in this thread, I noticed that the iPod does not synch with the photo playlists I have created in MC11.

Is there any news on this front since January?  After reading Matt's posts, is the problem that the iPod hardware doesn't allow us to do this?

Does anyone have any suggestions for things that have worked to create photo playlists?  Is the only workaround to create multiple copies of each photo and rename the Album tag for each file? 

Also, I have Adobe Photoshop; should I try using this instead?

Thanks, friends.

johnh

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 09:10:37 am »

Photo synching should work for iPods that support photos.  What are you seeing?  Do you get any photos on the iPod?

There are some instructions on iPods near the top of this board.

In some cases, you may have to update Apple firmware.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 04:50:21 pm »

Hey Jim.  I'm using an iPod video, and it's up to date on firmware.  I imported my photos into MC11.  The photos have tags that include the file name, but ther album entry is empty right now.  I then created a bunch of playlists under a Playlist Group labeled "photos" and assigned some of the photos to the playlists.  I went to options and selected these playlists in the synch option. 

When I synched, the photos themselves are synching with the iPod fine.  I experienced the same problem as the guys in the beginning of this thread--the photos are there, but the playlists are not.   The only way my iPod organizes the photos is in folders separated by date of the photo.

I was wondering if perhaps MC had developed a fix for this since January, or if the knowledgable posters had conceived of an effective work-around.  For example, do I need to put the photo playlists somewhere specific in MC for the iPod to let me use them? 

Thanks.
johnh

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 04:53:27 pm »

The photos have tags that include the file name, but ther album entry is empty right now.  I then created a bunch of playlists under a Playlist Group labeled "photos" and assigned some of the photos to the playlists. 
You could select the photos and enter an album (Alt-Enter to get to properties).
Pages: [1]   Go Up