INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 newbie questions . . .  (Read 1272 times)

DC_Roller

2 newbie questions . . .
« on: September 18, 2002, 05:15:49 am »

Hi there,

First, why will certain brands of CD-R's not play in my wife's car?  I've tried 3 well-known brands, only one works AND it was burned by someone else's drive/computer (is that significant??).  The other 2 play in other CD players but not in her car.  Should I try another type of CD, buy a new car or get a new wife?

Second, WHY OH WHY do i lose SO much sound quality between the original file and the CD i burn it to?  Is it possible to ameliorate this degradations?  (E.g., slowing down the record speed on my CD-R drive??)

Thanks for your input!

-Lane

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:2 newbie questions . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 05:43:40 am »

Try higher bit rate encoding or lossless (APE/Monkey's Audio) for better sound.

Some drives are sensitive to the color of the CD.  I'd suggest trying other CD's.  It may work.  Make sure you burn an audio CD, not a data CD.

Keep your wife.  She loves you.  The car could care less about you.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 05:44:41 am »

First, why will certain brands of CD-R's not play in my wife's car? I've tried 3 well-known brands, only one works AND it was burned by someone else's drive/computer (is that significant??). The other 2 play in other CD players but not in her car. Should I try another type of CD, buy a new car or get a new wife?

It's spotty like that.  Certain brands / colors / and burner drives will work better than others.  Personally, I'd try swapping CDR brands before cashing out the wife.  It's up to you though...

About the sound quality, you shouldn't lose any, unless you're burning from junky mp3's or something.  If it's sounding bad, it's probably because the car player doesn't like the disc.

Hope that helps.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 05:50:05 am »

I've also read that the speed at which a CD was burned can have an effect. Slower = better in some cases.

In my case, my Jeep's CD player just randomly decided one day that it wasn't going to play any CDR's at all. Well, it would, but only begrudgingly, and track seeking would take forever. ffwding through a song would jump to random points in the track, and other CD's it just flat out won't play. Even CD's that it previously played just fine.

Then a friend hops in the Jeep with me, throws in one of her custom made CD's and it plays perfectly!

So I stuck one of mine back in, and no dice.

I'm using this as an excuse to buy an in-dash DVD player.

Galley

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 06:12:42 am »

Avoid generic media.  The only brand I use is TDK, although Fuji's are good  as well.  If you are losing quality, you must not be ripping the songs as WAV files.  WAV files sound exactly the same as CD audio.

amateur

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2002, 08:51:14 am »

Lane,
Don't know if this will help, but my car CD player would not play audio CD-Rs I had burned.  Someone told me to stop using 80 min. CD-Rs and slow down the burn speed.  I now use the 72 min. CD-Rs (any major brand name) and burn at 4X and they usually (85|PLS|% of the time) will play in the car.  Ocassionally one won't and I know it is a good CD because it will play if I use the discman (5|PLS| year old discman)-> cassette adapter in the car instead of the car's CD cartridge.  Don't know why this helped, but you may want to at least try.

DC_Roller

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 08:56:56 am »

Thanks for all the input!!!

-Lane
Pages: [1]   Go Up