INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving my media  (Read 1247 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Moving my media
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:01:59 pm »

Hi guys. Need some assistence please?

I have a situation where I need to re-assign my hard disk D: to E:. Unfortunately, my D: disk is my primary media disk. Therefore, my MC library lives on C: and points to my media on D:

Any ideas how I might easily tell MC to look for all my media on E: instead? Didn't MC used to have a library field call "base path" or something? I can't find this anymore. I expected to use this which would have made the matter a breeze.

Thanks in advance.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

modelmaker

Re: Moving my media
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:55:39 pm »

Use the Library tool: "Find and Replace", (right-click on a file and follow the library tools menu)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 03:23:16 am »

Excellent! So easy when you know how. Thanks heaps!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 04:15:36 am »

When working with the actual filenames/paths within MC, always keep the following in mind:

1. If you have already moved the files, resulting in broken links in the library (red 'X's'), editing the filename/path to correctly point to the files' new location will fix the broken links..

2. If the links in the library are not broken, editing the filename/path will cause MC to attempt to rename/move the file to the filename/path you specify.

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 05:55:39 am »

IMHO,

The number 1. is preferable when a lot of files is going to be moved. It is better to first move the files outside MC and then fix the database. The database change is almost instantaneous when the actual files are already moved outside MC (possibly by simply assigning a different drive letter). If MC is let to move the files the operation may take hours and if a power loss or a crash happens the database and the actual files may not be fully synchronized after such an interrupt.

The number 2. is good for moving a few files at the same time.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up