INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding New Tag Fields  (Read 1323 times)

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
Adding New Tag Fields
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:18:20 am »

Hi Everyone

I have a general question that I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to. 

I have added a new tag field, that of chart position.  The whole time I have Media Centre 10 installed this information will come up in the track information.  What I am wondering is that this data is obviously stored in the tag of each song.  If I was to re-install Media Centre or was to load my music to another PC would I be able to capture this information again or will it be lost?  Also does anyone know of a tool that shows this data in it's raw form so I can prove to myself that it will be kept?

My problem being if I update all my music with chart position is this a complete waste of time? or will I always be able to use the tag info?

Thanking you in advance.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding New Tag Fields
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 07:34:00 am »

Check to see if that tag is saved to file.

Options
Library
Look for the field and hit edit

Look for store in file tags. Is this checked? If so, then it's saved to the file, If it isn't then enter a check, then Update tags from library
-

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:46:19 am »

Also does anyone know of a tool that shows this data in it's raw form so I can prove to myself that it will be kept?

MC will show you.
In the action window, select file properties, and then 'file type info'

when you select a file, the info you see in the file type info window is the info that is actually saved in the file itself.

If I was to re-install Media Centre or was to load my music to another PC would I be able to capture this information again or will it be lost?
If you start again with a fresh library, or on a different PC, then you need to manually create the field before importing the files. MC will not create it for you simply because the tag exists in the file. If the field already exists in the library, MC will populate it from the tags during import. No other media application will be able to read the tags in the files, though some 3rd party tagging tools may be able to show you that they exist.

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 08:43:16 am »

Thank you both - Very helpful and job done!  Pleased to say they are safetely stored.  Looks like I will be using MC 10 forever, but that is no bad thing!! :-)

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:34:40 pm »

Thank you both - Very helpful and job done!  Pleased to say they are safetely stored.  Looks like I will be using MC 10 forever, but that is no bad thing!! :-)

You should take a look at 11.1

MC10 is good, 11.1 is GREAT!
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up