INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best remote control?  (Read 4227 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
What's the best remote control?
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:26:49 am »

I'm just wondering if any of you got a great remote control you would recommend.

Today I'm using Imon Pad IR remote with a VFD display. It works good with all applications I have tried and can be programmed to deal with most things. It have a good pad for left, right, up, down as well as vertical movement. There aint many controls that move the mouse vertical. Saves alot of time. Hurray!

The only thing I really dislike is that I have to be within 2 meters of the IR reciver.  And the angle can not be more than about 60 cm right or left, up or down from the max distance of 2 meters. It sucks. I have to say I have a rather slim hole for the IR reciver through the cabinet. That have to take alot of the blame.

As I see it this leaves me with 1 choise. A RF remote controle. IS there a good one out there with good mouse control?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

ferent

• Galactic Citizen
  • Go to Linux
Re: What's the best remote control?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 08:18:14 am »

Wow!! I like the Imon Pad!!.
Could you tell me if MC supporst and detect it? or I have to use girder?
Go to linux

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 08:32:22 am »

Yes, the Imon Pad is good if you're not to picky about the range and angle of the signals....

The Control and VFD display includes a program for controling the display as well as a huge set of pre programmed key sets for the most used programs.
Media Center is not one of those. But you can easily make the the different buttons on the remote represent keyboard commands such as play (ctrl + p), Next track (ctrl + n). It takes aprox 10 minutes to set up the most functions.

Media Center don't have to detect anything. If you run windows xp or media center it will work (many other OS is supported too).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 01:21:47 pm »

As I see it this leaves me with 1 choise. A RF remote controle. IS there a good one out there with good mouse control?

The mouse control on the ATI Remote Wonder remotes (particularly the RW2 and RW+) works very well.  I hate how limited you are in programming the remote though.  From what I've heard though you can replicate all the functionality using plugins and Girder.  I haven't tried with mine though...

Switched to using a Firefly remote and a separate wireless mouse.  Works beautifully.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:35:28 pm »

The mouse control on the ATI Remote Wonder remotes (particularly the RW2 and RW+) works very well. 

I agree. Too bad you end up with a remote with a ton of unused buttons...with MC (haven't tried other players) you end up using player buttons and the mouse controls, but the numeric and all other buttons remain untouched.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 09:08:27 pm »

I agree. Too bad you end up with a remote with a ton of unused buttons...with MC (haven't tried other players) you end up using player buttons and the mouse controls, but the numeric and all other buttons remain untouched.

Exactly!  Again, I've read that it's possible to replicate all the functionality through third-party Girder plugins, which allows you to reassign all those otherwise-useless buttons (you can't have the ATI driver installed at all though).

I never got that far though, and it seemed difficult and constantly in-flux.

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 04:26:36 am »

Straying a bit here, but there's a tool called RWKeyMaster that is supposed to extend the functionality for ATI RW. Haven't tried it though (I'm more of a if-it-doesn't-work-don't-bother kind of guy).

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 03:34:33 pm »

I don't really care wether there are many buttons or replacement drivers for other controls. I just need one control with good mouse functions, RF transmitter and possibly a programmable LCD display and a scroll button.
If there are mny buttons I can reassign proper functions to them with girder and netremote. And if there are few then I think I need programmable LCD.

I just can't seem to find anything that contains all my wishes.

The closest I'we come is Philips' Pront or Pronto Pro TSU7000, 6000 etc. It's a beatifull, but expensive one. The only minus is that is only have up, down, left and right keys. It will be hard to get good control over the mouse pointer. Though this can be brought to justise with highly use of shortcuts and a costumised keyboard etc.

Hell. I don't know what to think any more

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 03:54:43 pm »

Well... You really might want to check out the ATI Remote Wonder Plus or the Remote Wonder 2.  I wouldn't go with the original Remote Wonder though, as it's RF performance kinda stunk.

The Plus and 2 are only available from ATI by buying one of their TV Wonder or All-in-Wonder cards, but they're both always available for very cheap on eBay.  Mine have been great (I have two RW2 remotes) and reliable for a few years now.

Here's someone selling the "Plus" variety right now -- going for about $10.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 03:58:34 pm »

Straying a bit here, but there's a tool called RWKeyMaster that is supposed to extend the functionality for ATI RW. Haven't tried it though (I'm more of a if-it-doesn't-work-don't-bother kind of guy).

That plugin does work very well, but it's major limitation is that you can't program the buttons on a per-application basis (and it can only assign hotkeys, not macros or app launches).  If you only want the buttons to do one keypress all the time, no matter what app is foreground, then that will work great.  If you need to do anything more complicated, you need Girder...

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 04:34:53 am »

Well... You really might want to check out the ATI Remote Wonder Plus or the Remote Wonder 2. 

Well... It's not cool enough :) Just kidding. But when I first invest in a good remote I want to get a remote that is colse to the best there is. Like a Philips TSU7000....
The thing I really like is the ability to costumize it.
I have heard alot of bad things about Philips thou.

The question is also this. Should I go for WiFi or RF? Don't like the stability issues with WiFi....

The ones I have thought about is OPhilips TSU7000 and RC9800i, Marantz RC9500 and Nevo SL.

Any experiences with those?

rsbrux

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 06:10:37 am »

The ones I have thought about is OPhilips TSU7000 and RC9800i, Marantz RC9500 and Nevo SL.
IIRc, the Marantz is just a customized and re-branded Philips Pronto.  You can find out more on RemoteCentral.com.  I am using an old iPAQ 3950 PDA running PDAwin.com's TV Remote Controller, which emulates a Philips Pronto.  I had to get an IR extender for it to get decent range, but I can use it for all of my equipment, and it's still a lot cheaper than a color Pronto.
FSC Scaleo E upgraded w/Intel DH67BLB3 & Core i3 - 2100 3.1 GHz CPU
DigitalDevices DuoFlex CT & Octopus single CI

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 06:37:56 pm »

I had totally forgotten that post :)

Actually tried to buy a TSU 7000 on ebay several months back. I got ripped off! My mental health have not yet regaind completely after the 500$ loss :(

After that I have thought much more about a PDA. The only downside with other remotes are the limitations in distance, angle etc.
That's why I have been thinking of a PDA with WIFI. Would be smooth as long as the connection are stable. I have a qtek now. But I can't really use it as a remote. The network card turns off after a few minutes to save power. And it takes waaay to long time for it to turn back on. Are all PDA's like that?

The Pronto Pro looks sweet. The only downside I can see today is the lack in two way data transmitting. If Philips had made a model similar to TSU7000 with WIFI I would sell my car the same day as the remote was for sale.
I know some of the models have WIFI support, but they all look like a friggin drawing pad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up