INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle doesn't work  (Read 1144 times)

magixman

Shuffle doesn't work
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:00:47 pm »

I have never been able to get my iPod Shuffle to work with Media Center even after upgrading to the lates release.

The steps I follow are:

1) redetect devices

2) plug shuffle in usb port

3) device recognition dialog appears

4) Hit OK

5) Option dialog appears

6) Hit OK

7) Dialog asks to initialize and erase ipod

8) Answer yes

9) Nothing happens

10) Unplug and plug in again

11) Flash 'Drop Files Here' appears in lower left for 5 seconds and disappears

12) Click on Hand-helds and am told that none are attached

iPod works fine with iTunes.  iTunes is not running during all of the above

Media Center Registered 11.1.118 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1989 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 209 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2800 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2800 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: PLEXTOR CD-R   PREMIUM    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 11.1.119
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:20:58 pm »

I just tried a shuffle to make sure it works.  It does.  But when you see this:

7) Dialog asks to initialize and erase ipod

Answer yes

9) Nothing happens

I see this:

Dialog asks to initialize and erase ipod

Answer yes

MC initializes the device, showing a thermometer.  (Maybe this is hidden behind MC?)

You might try downloading Apple's software and running the iPod updater.

razumik

• World Citizen
Re: Shuffle doesn't work
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 05:06:42 pm »

Magixman,

I also have a Shuffle and have not had any problems since the early versions of 11.1. 

What version of the IPOD software are you running on the Shuffle?  Is it the version that came with the device or have you since upgraded?

Have you tried to restore the Shuffle using the IPOD software and then initialize it with MC. 

Also, does iTunes currently open when you plug the Shuffle in?  If so, I would disable that before trying to use it in MC. 

Dan

magixman

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 09:55:11 am »

Thank you for your posts regarding this.  I did get it to work and at this point I do attribute the problem to being something to do with iTunes.  In the end I uninstalled iTunes.

What I did:

1) Upgraded to XP SP2 because I read somewhere that iTunes needs it.

2) Got the iPod updater and restored the iPod.  I was already running the latest software.

At this point it still hung after transferring about 8%  but the problem of it the iPod itself just disappearing without a trace on the Media Center stopped happening.

I cleared the iPod again and tried one more time.  This time I transferred MP3 files rather than asking Media Center to convert from APE to MP3 and everything worked.  I tried again with the conversion and everything worked.  I noticed, however, that iTunes did pop up this time and interestingly enough wanted to upgrade itself.  I had the pop up action turned off in iTunes.

In any event to cut a long story short I then uninstalled iTunes and things have been working fine so far.  I would say that if anyone is having weird problems such as mine, uninstall iTunes first to see if that is the issue.  I suspect that the attempt to popup was somehow messing with things.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:38:21 am »

Thanks for the details.  Updating to a more recent version of MC11.1 may also help.  It should work OK even with the iTunes programs running in the background.
Pages: [1]   Go Up