INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: error Q: "attempting to transfer multiple tracks with duplicated information."  (Read 1035 times)

Doody

• Recent member

Greetings. New user (11.183) and first time poster.

When I attempt to Sync I get the following error:

You are attempting to transfer multiple tracks with duplicated information.
Would you like to remove the duplicates and continue with the transfer?

Duplicates (56 tracks):

a_big_long_complicated_list_of_information_on_songs
<too many items to display>
<YES> <NO>
buttons

What does this mean, exactly? What exactly is "duplicated information" (as opposed to duplicate files)?

I searched the archives and found two mentions of this error
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32630.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32624.0
neither with satisfactory explanations.

Here's the context: I have ~250GB of audio (98%+ of it lossless - WMA, FLAC) on my file server (9,316 files according to MC).

I want to be able to have a local (on my primary computer, my laptop) copy of this data (downsampled to MP3 - my laptop drive isn't that big!) for use straight off the laptop as I travel and also so I can sync all or part of the collection from the laptop to various portable music devices.

I have created a "device" which is a directory on my laptop file system.

The error is completely reproducible (I've done it probably five times). I Recheck Sync to make sure everything is kosher, then I Sync, and after about ten minutes of "Waiting..." status it comes up with this error. It's always 56 files. There's never ANYTHING in the target directory (device). I've been wiping that relgiously, just in case.

The files in question are definitely not duplicated on the server either. The only pattern I can see in the list of files is that the combination of album names and file names and whatnot seem "long" - but that's just pure arbitrary conjecture on my part.

I've had MC freeze a number of times when trying to do the full Sync (I tested it first on < 100 files and it worked fine), but it's running now (it'll take a couple of days by my estimate).

Any guidance appreciated on this error.

Thanks,
Doody

Doody

• Recent member

and a follow-up question: is that list of files (or whatever it is) written out to a log somewhere 'cuz it's "<too many items to display>"? i've poked around but came up empty.

thanks,
doody.

Doody

• Recent member

after more digging, it seems like the majority of these (at least the 20 listed of the 56) are user error (i had FLAC versions tucked away as well as WMA-L rips). a few of them aren't making sense still, but i'm working on it :-) .

i think i understand what "duplicated information" is now. it's basically when the system evaluates the tags to figure out what's what and finds that there are multiple files with the same exact information. they're not "duplicate files" though 'cuz you can have, for example, one WMA and one FLAC and they're distinct files, almost certainly with distinct filenames, but the "information" is in fact "duplicated" in the library.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

if you're converting, and the tags are the same, the result would be duplicate files, say, two mp3's, if that's you're flavour.

Doody

• Recent member

everything's kosher. i sorted out all the files. the one that stymied me for a while was a multi-disk glenn gould/bach set where there were no duplicates, but the tags were the same across the discs. doh!

all set. grazie.

the creation of the local sync/library with downconversion ended up taking about 62 hours.

doody.

Pages: [1]   Go Up