INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC on 64 bit system vs. 32 bit?  (Read 1899 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
MC on 64 bit system vs. 32 bit?
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:35:29 pm »

Today I'm using mainly MC and Zoom Player with ffdshow for dvd playback, all with a remote control, girder and netremote on my HTPC,

Just wondering if there will be much trouble to upgrade to 64 bit Win pro or Vista (able to get the second beta after this weekend).

You guys experinced any difficulties or advantages using 64 bit windows with MC and the other programs mentioned?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrHaugen

Re: MC on 64 bit system vs. 32 bit?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 08:07:28 am »

I have a hard time beliving nobody have any experience in the subject...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:18:28 am »

MC will work fine on Win64 machines.  Your hardware may not :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 12:37:26 pm »

Yea. That's what I expected. I'll check the manufacturers of my hardware components and see if they have 64 bit drivers out just in case.

Better to be safe than sorry.

All software should be able to run as before, but not that efficient right? That is, if they are 32 bit apps. And if all my media applications are 32 bit then the question is, are there any benefits at all with a 64 bit OS? It might be much work for little changes.  ::)

LesC

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:52:11 pm »

used mc on a 64bit xp install for quite a few weeks, worked just like i was on xp sp2 x86. i'd still be using it if i didn't have to run warmtone for mc (which doesn't work on x64 no matter what compatibility i'd select =/)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:01:54 am »

Yea. That's what I expected. I'll check the manufacturers of my hardware components and see if they have 64 bit drivers out just in case.

Better to be safe than sorry.

All software should be able to run as before, but not that efficient right? That is, if they are 32 bit apps. And if all my media applications are 32 bit then the question is, are there any benefits at all with a 64 bit OS? It might be much work for little changes.  ::)

Generally not if you don't have/need huge amounts of RAM, do 3D illustration, or have a database server running on your desktop.  Some games can see tiny gains when running 64-bit builds (Farcry is an example), but the improvements are really quite small (usually 5-10 FPS).  To really see improvements, we need software built from the ground up with 64-bit in mind.  For most applications where there is no need to access massive amounts of data all at once, there just is no need for them to re-engineer old code only to break it for the vast majority of 32-bit XP users.

Even Vista won't completely force the transition, since most people will still run it in 32-bit mode (all those poor, poor Pentium4 users).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 04:45:12 pm »

I am using Windows x64 on a DFI 250GB with a 3700+ and MC performs as it did on my old rig; all performance increases I attribute to the fact that I am running an all around better system i.e. faster cpu more ram etc.

Hardware & software has been working okay, here's just a few; I am using almost all of the same software as on the 32bit:

-Emu 1212M
-Nvidia 6600
-HP printer
-card reader & external/internal burners

Software:
-Nod32 A/V
-Acronis True Image
-No Outpost Firewall yet and the Nvidia firewall was problematic
-FFDshow (somewhat funky but I figured what was crashing it; video (certain non-dvd codecs) + FFDshow still seems to crash MC
 -Nvidia DVD codec which wouldn't work with with ZoomPlayer or the Nstant Nvidia player but works flawlessly with MC!
-selling my PPC but Promixis netremote and media bridge were fully operational

MC allows me to use library server from x64 machine (serving) to xp 32bit machines; mapping remote drives works without a hitch between 32 & 64 bit machines on LAN.

Dr. C

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 06:47:06 am »

Allright. Good to know.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go next time I reinstall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up