INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPDIF Unlock  (Read 2320 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
SPDIF Unlock
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:56:47 am »

I'm using an integrated AC'97 sound card with SPDIF to my Sony amplifier.  I have started getting an occasional "Unlock" message on the amplifier display and no sound.

Does anyone have an insight into (any) SPDIF settings?  I guess these are not controlled in MC, but I cannot see where.

The motherboard manufacture (helpfully) said it's the fault of the volume level that is driving the AC'97.  I thought SPDIF didn't have a volume level.

I need help from the SPDIF guru... - certainly not me!

nick

NickM

Re: SPDIF Unlock
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:30:39 pm »

<<bump>>

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:18:55 pm »

Nick--
I'm no SPDIF Guru, or any sort of Guru, but I use SPDIF all day long and I'm pretty sure it's your amp (preamp) that's gone rogue.  Try a cold boot and see if the message goes away and the sound comes back. 

Next, I'd try shoving a proper soundcard in the PC and see what happens.  AC97 leaves a lot to be desired, I believe, and good stereo cards can be had for $50. 

Going for a bit of a reach here, I believe SPDIF has a volume indication, although amplitude and voltage are not related the same way they are with analog signals.  If your amp (preamp) is trying to tell you that it can't make out a clean signal, then I think that goes back to your (lack of a) sound card.  $50, Nick.

NickM

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:11:46 am »

Guess I should try out a $50 new sound card....

nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up