INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Now Suggestion  (Read 2210 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Playing Now Suggestion
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:59:02 am »

I have noticed that I usually load MS WMP when I just want to hear a single tune, or stream something and know that i will never put it in my MC library (ie. just listening to how a song sounds off the net).

I think the reason I do this is because the WMP is so much smaller and feels somehow faster/easier to use as just a "player".

My suggestion is that whenever you go into playing now mode, the whole program shrinks down to some kind of mini-me style interface. Then when you go back to your library everything is the same size as it was before. It is too much of a pain in the ass to do all the resizing/"mini-me-mega-me"ing manually all the time, hence me just quickly loading up WMP.

What do you think?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Playing Now Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 06:36:40 am »

I do that too... especially with small video clips...

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 06:49:13 am »

And I thought I was the only one to do this.
Jeff

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 07:19:08 am »

Nope your not alone... I use the Nero Player instead of wmp though.
-

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 08:25:34 am »

I have long wanted MC to have just a player that loads up and plays songs, video clips, images, etc without loading up the entire interface. For this reason alone, I don't allow MC to be associated with anything. I leave that for the lighter players.

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:27:58 am »

I do this also, for single MP3s, videos etc. However, I don't think anything should be  changed. MC is extremely good at what it does, making huge libraries accessible. Switching to a mini-me mode everytime you go into playing now would be annoying, and I think creating a separate 'light' player would be an unnecessary diversion in their efforts.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:37:48 am »

You are right that the mini-me skins do kind of suck. The basic features are hidden in icons too small to distinguish or arent even on the interface. it's hard to get back to mega-me. You cant see the playing now screen without opeing those "wings". you cant see the columns or rate your songs.

My request is simply that there be a skin which shows essentially what we see in "playing now" at the moment, with all of its functionality, but is just smaller. It seems like there is no need for the program to take up my whole screen when just playing a song.

We can already set the program up to start in "playing now", for when we double click on files outside of MC, so that's half the job done. The other half of my request is to automatically jump to the new useful mini-me whenever we press the "Playing now" button.

Essentially, I'm saying, get rid of the "Mini-me/mega-me" termanology and make a really intuitive "playing now" and "library" interface.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 05:32:01 am »

Preview of JPG (or any image for that matter)> Not with MC but one of the standard tools of Microsoft.
Quick peak of video > media player

Especially opening email attachments via Media Center in not working.

Somekind of Quick Preview (for files not yet part of the library) via MC would be very welcome!
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

curtiscee

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 01:55:50 pm »

Gawd, my post sounds like a complete azz wrote it.

And the more I use MC and discover some new "hidden" feature" like the photo editor etc., it makes my response sound even more ridiculous. MC is so crammed with features that focusing on one like I did is not only unfair but unfounded. It's a one stop shop that deserves more respect.

One problem with INTERACT is that I can't find a way to delete my post. Admins, please delete my posts on this topic. I can't stand reading them myself.

Thanks!

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 02:05:55 pm »

curtiscee
you should be able to delete your own posts ...
Next to 'modify' there is a delete button if it is you own post.
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 02:31:51 pm »

Minime could be improved, i have never really used it all as i find it, like others to be unintuitive. Sometimes i accidentally get into it via shortcuts, Ctrl+2 instead of Alt+2 which takes you to Playing Now. Accidental cos on the laptop i use to RDP to the server, the Alt & Ctrl buttons are next to each other.

Standard view is prolly what i use most of the time.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 02:32:25 am »

You are right that the mini-me skins do kind of suck. The basic features are hidden in icons too small to distinguish or arent even on the interface. it's hard to get back to mega-me. You cant see the playing now screen without opeing those "wings". you cant see the columns or rate your songs.

My request is simply that there be a skin which shows essentially what we see in "playing now" at the moment, with all of its functionality, but is just smaller. It seems like there is no need for the program to take up my whole screen when just playing a song.

We can already set the program up to start in "playing now", for when we double click on files outside of MC, so that's half the job done. The other half of my request is to automatically jump to the new useful mini-me whenever we press the "Playing now" button.

Essentially, I'm saying, get rid of the "Mini-me/mega-me" termanology and make a really intuitive "playing now" and "library" interface.

I really like my idea about the "playing now" mode. Be great to know if there is any chance of it being implemented somtime. Would transform the use of MC quite a bit i think. Quite a selling point for a new version of the software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up